AC Window Unit BTUs for Glycol Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KookyBrewsky

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm about to get a Spike Conical CF10 fermenter with their TC-100 kit. I'm going to DIY the glycol chiller as it seems relatively straightforward. The used AC units around me are... bad. The cheapest one I can find new is a GE 5000 BTU for $150. If I have to get that one, is that powerful enough to ferment two CF10s down the road? What about cold crashing? I absolutely know I will only ever have two CF10 sized fermenters, so chilling two of those is my end game goal.

Regards

General rule of thumb is to have 600BTU/hr/bbl, so the 5000BTU/hr AC should be good, and then some.

As an aside, the 1/5hp SSBrewtech glycol chiller is rated at 1450btu/hr, and is said to chill (2) 14gal fermentors

the issue is that the rating of the air conditioner is not directly translated to its use as a glycol chiller. It has the 5000 BTU rating when it's operating at normal temperatures. (an AC won't chill below 60 degrees typically) So when you're trying to chill to 32 degrees or colder, the efficiency is about cut in half. So a 5000btu air conditioner will likely provide more like 2000-2500 btu at chiller temperatures.

That being said, that's still more than enough for 2 10gallon fermenters.

the issue is that the rating of the air conditioner is not directly translated to its use as a glycol chiller. It has the 5000 BTU rating when it's operating at normal temperatures. (an AC won't chill below 60 degrees typically) So when you're trying to chill to 32 degrees or colder, the efficiency is about cut in half. So a 5000btu air conditioner will likely provide more like 2000-2500 btu at chiller temperatures.

That being said, that's still more than enough for 2 10gallon fermenters.

I understand it's a hard "conversion" to do, I just needed to know if it was suitable for what I needed. They might not output chill that low but the condensers themselves get pretty low it seems. I'm going to be using a bucket and ice water in the cooler I'll use for the built at least for the first brew or two just to see how the locale works where I keep the fermenter.

I made my glycol chiller with a 5000btu window A/C. It works very well with 10 gallon batches. I don't have a coil kit though, flat discharge hose wrapped around conical. Probably work even better with a coil rig.

I made my glycol chiller with a 5000btu window A/C. It works very well with 10 gallon batches. I don't have a coil kit though, flat discharge hose wrapped around conical. Probably work even better with a coil rig.

Thanks, the 5,000 BTU seems to be the standard for DIY chillers anyway based on further research, the most I'd ever, ever do is two 10 gallon batches.

@KookyBrewsky - I have a 5000btu ac that I converted. Works flawlessly. I just had my Mexican Lager to 38. People have used these diy chillers to cool multiple FV.

Attachments

• 20200409_184832.jpg
    20200409_184832.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 93
@KookyBrewsky - I have a 5000btu ac that I converted. Works flawlessly. I just had my Mexican Lager to 38. People have used these diy chillers to cool multiple FV.

you basically have my exact (planned) setup! Great to hear, very excited I can confidently not spend $900+ on a glycol chiller and be able to fix it as well:)

Back