Abv?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anteup

Reaction score
OG 1.09 FG 0.995 Calculated ABV=12%(starting volume 6gals). if i add 1gal water, what is my new ABV?

10.3% ABV might be better to stabilize either by chemical or by pasteurization and uses apple juice to bring down the ABV that way you are not diluting the flavor.

Thanks again daze. when i racked the 2nd time had a lot of leets at bottom. left some liquid behind and top off carboy with H2O didn't have any cider on hand.

M1V1=M2V2, where M= the concentration and V= the volume.

so M1=12%, V1=6 gal, and V2=7 gal. so 10.29%

I'm assuming this holds true if you start with 6gal at 12% remove 1gal from carboy add back in 1gal of juice/water. would equal 6gals @ 10%

if you replace it with water its an average based on each gallon of cider being 12% and the gallon of water being 0%

SOOOOOO

12 + 12 + 12 + 12 + 12 + 0 )/6 or (12*5)/6 = 10%

BUT if you add something with sugar in it like apple juice the yeast is till active, they will convert the sugar in the juice to alcohol. In the case of apple juice there is enough sugar on average for a PA of 5% IF you ferment it out dry, so in that case the formula would be

(12*5 + 5)/6 and would = 10.833

The reason the first two posts were more than 10% is we both thought you had 6 gallons at 12% ABV and that you were adding 1 gallon more of water to that or

(12*6)/7 = 10.286

Back