Abv too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pat1268

Reaction score
I brewed my third batch of beer yesterday.used a true brew kit from monster brewing . After letting it cool for a while, I put it n my fermenter.it was only 4 gal and I started with 5 .according to the directions, I should fill to5 gal. I took a OG reading and it was 1.030. Did I do somthing wrong? It is bubbling away right now so it can be all bad

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I also let it cool naturally with lid on the brew kettle for a few hours

As brew_ny stated you're fine. If you had measured the OG prior to topping off it would have been higher than expected. Then when you topped it off it wasn't mixed completely and as a result measured low.

With extract, efficiency is not an issue since the mashing was already done by the maltster. As long as you used the correct amount of extract and the correct volume of water, you hit your target gravity. When using top-up water, it can be hard to get it mixed completely so it is common to get a funny (but inaccurate) OG reading. Don't sweat it. The yeast will mix everything around for you, and your FG reading will be one you can depend on.

Thanks boydser it's bubbling up a storm and makin my house smell great!

Don't let the fermenting wort get over the optimum temperature range for the yeast. Bad flavors can be the result by fermenting to warm.

Back