Absolutely Amazing Drummer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pssst...

Here's MY drummer...

animal_drums.jpg

My youngest, at thirteen, won the battle of the bands at the local high school. He was the drummer. Proud Papa me.

I started playing when I was seven years old. I've never stopped. I started when I was seven, can you imagine being this good by the time you were seven? :eek:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8cvKImVadE]Little Drummer Boy[/ame].

Orpheus said:
I play drums myself

O Orph, man, we should get together. I've been playing forever, but I haven't played in a while and I totally miss it. Where outside DC are you?

The others were good, but check out this [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXD4vVhR96A]10 year old kid[/ame]! Think where his skill level will be in another 10 years! He's a man after my own heart too being a lefty and all.

Orph,
I finally sat through the whole Lombardo vid and have to say, he's not all that! He's doing a bunch of single stroke rolls and just happens to be able to match it on the double kicks. I'm not bragging over here but I was doing that simplistic stuff in high school. He's got no groove.

Check out a few of these for real technique:

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno, I think Neil Peart doing The Rythm Method is tighter and more interesting. Not that this guy is bad by any means, just not jaw dropping.

Jester369 said:
I dunno, I think Neil Peart doing The Rythm Method is tighter and more interesting. Not that this guy is bad by any means, just not jaw dropping.
Here you go:

I've always dug Peart's style, and I really like his use of odd time - usually fairly seamless until you try and tap your foot to a Rush tune. Also, his ability to use a 360 wrap around set complete with a marimba and bells is truly amazing.

Don't tell SWMBO - I think I've got a crush on Emanuelle Caplette! (the snare solo chick)

Ok, i've been drumming since i was 10 and was in a band that won battle of the bands in Salem 3 years running, and a year in Portland.

And, no offense to these amazing drummers, but throw me in a 360 drumset with a million things to play on and i'm sure i could make something atleast somewhat impressive. Too many sounds, it almost takes the creativity out of it instead of the opposite. But that me.

Give me Gene Krupa or Buddy Rich anyday. If you can play that long with that many beats and sounds off of a 3-4 piece set, you win in my eyes.

But what the hell do i know, i'm drinking!

Klainmeister said:
And, no offense to these amazing drummers, but throw me in a 360 drumset with a million things to play on and i'm sure i could make something atleast somewhat impressive. Too many sounds, it almost takes the creativity out of it instead of the opposite. But that me.
I'm not gonna argue too much - there are certainly some phenomenal drummers who use far less equipment, but Peart's ability to make all of that equipment mesh with the band while incorporating subtle changes in the background always fascinates me. Then he gets to go nuts with all the toys during the solos...but...who wouldn't?

Maybe you actually have to really really like prog rock to think Peart is the end all of drummers. I find his style to be a little stiff, a little too on the beat. Then there's the odd time. Sometimes you need to throw a couple bars of 3/4 or 7/8 in there just to build tension to the chorus, but Peart is all about making it look hard to play (and it is) and takes it too far.

I agree that the best of drummers do the most on the least number of pieces. kick, snare, hi/low toms, hats, one cymbal and if you get bored, you're trying to cheat your way through it. It's like demoing a Vdrum kit... all of a sudden you're a god.

Bobby_M said:
Maybe you actually have to really really like prog rock to think Peart is the end all of drummers.
Yup, I really like progressive rock. Nope, he's not the best ever. Just one of my favorites...for all the reasons some of you dislike him. Like I said...not too much argument from me, just a few of my opinions.

Klainmeister said:
Give me Gene Krupa or Buddy Rich anyday. If you can play that long with that many beats and sounds off of a 3-4 piece set, you win in my eyes.

ITA:

Latest posts

Back