Absinthe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polarbearbrewing

Reaction score
whos had it?

i made some from a kit which supposedly had 4 times the "normal" dose of wormwood last year and although i got really drunk, i didnt experience any psychoactive effects

anybody had the real thing or any experiences?

all scientific research says absinthe doesnt have any psychoactive effects.

indeed, you would need to die from the ethanol multiple times to experience any effects.

Also those "kits" are usually not safe nor even close to what anyone should ever call absinthe.
Putting wormwood in vodka releases a lot of toxins and is not good for you at all, according to what I've read.

Although, when you've enjoyed four of them in a remote Parisian bar, it can cause you to lose all track of time. And miss the last train back to your hotel, and nearly get you locked underground in the subway.

We had to take a cab home. Which doesn't sound bad, but it seems every Paris cab driver feels it's their personal responsibility to teach you how to speak French during the trip.

A Czech colleague brought me some heavy-duty stuff from his last visit to the homeland. It got us pretty drunk, but nothing out of the ordinary. Still, it's a fun sort of myth to indulge in.

I shared a bottle with somebody and don't remember getting home. This was from Glasgow - Edinburgh, with a taxi at each end.

I do really hate how people associate it with extreme drunkenness. Aside from being 120proof, if just another spirit with a different flavor.

I drank 20 8% beers and can't remember getting home... I took 4 shots of everclear and almost died. I drank a fifth of jack and was so ****ed up.... well no ****.

I've had it a number of times. Just seemed like a good hard hitting alcohol to me. I was told that people also use it to cut crack and that is why it's illegal. No idea what that means exactly, just what someone told me.

I've had it on several occasions, don't like it much. However, one of my friends has been making it for years and will be going pro if he can find a backer. He says it's booze, period. No other effects whatsoever.

The older versions were up to 170 proof.

I have a bottle of the hungarian stuff at home. Still waiting to crack it.

What most movies and tv don't tell you is that way back when, everyone was also heavliy into Laudanum. It's an opiate.

So if you really want to take absinthe like the old timers, bribe your doc into a prescription for opium.*

B

*The above poster does not condone bribing your physician.

My bro brought me back some from spain, still got a bit of it around. Never seen any fairies but at 170 proof, it definately feels like you're swallowing a fireball.

Didn't the US recently legalize the stuff because they more or less debunked the myth that absinthe causes hallucinations?

I've never had it but the whole process with the sugar cube and the green-ness of it and all sounds interesting.

When I was in Germany I saw a snow cone type trailer parked by a park that said "Absinthe" on it.....I didn't get any there bc I knew that would just be flavored vodka or some such

I read somewhere that absinthe is now legal to import, but I haven't seen any in liquor stores.

Drizzling a measured amount of cold water over a sugar cube in an absinthe spoon into a special absinthe glass is part of the ritual and mystique of absinthe. You enjoy the louche as the emerald green liquor transforms into a pearly or milky opalescence.

The sugar is optional, and absinthe is sweet enough that you really don't need it.

If you don't like the taste of star anise, you won't like absinthe. I like it, but it's not for everyone. If you want a lower-proof beverage with similar (not identical) characteristics, try Pernod with the cold water drizzle. You will at least get to find out if you like star anise.

Yuck, I hate the stuff. My friend brought a bottle back from Ireland (it was Spanish though) when they went to Europe last year. We drank the whole bottle between us two and just got intoxicated. The next day I had the weirdest hangover I have ever had. Didn't feel like easting or drinking anything, just laying there, but no headache or anything just didn't feel right. Like alcohol poisoning but without the puking and feeling bad. I hate anise/licorice/whatever the flavor stuff. It was a groomsman gift so we enjoyed it, but never again.
DSCN1643.JPG

DSCN1646.JPG

I can dig anise. I like an ouzo every once in a while. With ice and water it's pretty tastey on a hot day

I like a small absinthe every once in a while. It comes in many different forms and strengths with varying alcohol levels and wormwood concentrations. I have not had a sweet one yet, the only stuff I have tried is 120 proof and definitely not sweet. It is legal in the states now and many liquor stores in Wisconsin carry it.

I like a small absinthe every once in a while. It comes in many different forms and strengths with varying alcohol levels and wormwood concentrations. I have not had a sweet one yet, the only stuff I have tried is 120 proof and definitely not sweet. It is legal in the states now and many liquor stores in Wisconsin carry it.

Waiting for the first absinthe old fashion recipe.

I absolutely love good absinthe. I have never hallucinated on it, nor was that ever my intention. As stated before, the mystique and ritual of drinking it is the fun part. I happen to love the taste if made correctly. We also did not drink it like it was a vodka tonic, it should be given the proper credit that its proof deserves.

never had it.....yet......been told by individuals that like it that it varies in taste greatly between brands....some being much better than others, as with most other liquors you get what you pay for and the cheap stuff tends to be aweful.....have seen it for sale in some Montana liquor stores

If I see any absinthe at the liquor stores, I'll pick up a bottle. I've been using a few drops of Pernod to mix in my Sazerac cocktails. The original Sazerac recipe used absinthe.

1/2 tsp Absinthe (or a substitute like Pernod)
1/2 tsp simple syrup
dash of Peychaud's bitters
2 ounces of Rye whiskey

Tastes great with redbull, since it is close to jagermeister.

My brother brings it back from the czech republic when he goes a couple times a year. Been drunk off it but never hallucinated.

Back