About to give in...Need your help and support please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bingo! That's exactly the one I have. The red piece pulls right out.

And when I reassemble mine, I use a bit of keg lube on the red part...I think it seems to work better now and I think the lube also keeps the liquid out of the crevices and makes it even easier to clean...

Edit: oh, and I've had the single same valve since I started brewing over 8 years ago...no issues with infections if you clean it out promptly and thoroughly (read: take it apart...) after use...

The only thing I can think of is that I've overlooked is that I haven't replaced or even removed the valve from my bottling bucket. I really hope that has been my problem.

I guarantee it's your spigot. I had the exact same thing happen to me. I lost 2 batches. I tossed the bottling bucket.

Now I bottle from a keg using CO2 to push the beer at low pressure.

I'd take the spigot apart and soak the hell out of it.

These come apart too. Turn the valve half way from on to off and either pull on the valve handle or push from the spout end.

Well for those of with one of these, the spout is part of the body. But I have determined that disassembly is fairly easy. To wit:
Spigot:
6-IMG_1877.JPG
Use screwdriver:
5-IMG_1878.JPG
Twist:
4-IMG_1882.JPG
Pull:
2-IMG_1888.JPG
Inspect:
1-IMG_1892.JPG
Gasp with horror, if, like I have, you've PBW soaked, StarSan soaked and even boiled the mofo.

OK now. Seems like soaking is never enough. I use brushes to get'em clean inside. I even scrub the seals & lock nuts.

To the OP: be sure to remove the spigot from the bucket after use. Don't leave the spigot in place when you store it. Whatever moisture stays between those nooks and crannies will turn that spigot into a petri dish by the next time you use it. Also, give the inside of the bucket a good inspection. If there are lots of scratches, time to replace it. Buckets are cheap, beer ingredients aren't.

To the OP: be sure to remove the spigot from the bucket after use. Don't leave the spigot in place when you store it. Whatever moisture stays between those nooks and crannies will turn that spigot into a petri dish by the next time you use it. Also, give the inside of the bucket a good inspection. If there are lots of scratches, time to replace it. Buckets are cheap, beer ingredients aren't.

Thank you sir.

I had never removed the spigot.

I've removed it, disassembled it, soaked everything in Oxyclean (no PBW), scrubbed the buckets with an aquarium pad, boiled the spigot for 10 minutes, now everything is soaking in a high bleach concentration. Tomorrow it gets rinsed, soaked in StarSan and I brew.....

You also said you used bleach and them rinsed with water. Is your tap water clean? I'm on a well and would not use the water till boiled.
my 2 cents
D

Spigots are cheap, I just grab a couple of extra when I'm in Midwest, and replace every year or so.

The only thing I can think of is that I've overlooked is that I haven't replaced or even removed the valve from my bottling bucket. I really hope that has been my problem.

i started with mr beer. I'm sure you are aware they have a bottling valve as well. I had 3 ruined batches back to back. I got pissed off and threw mr beer out, and got better bottles. Before my new bb's arrived I ran across a post which said to remove and clean the valve each time. Like you, i had never done that. I think you answered your own question. Clean (or perhaps replace at this point) your spigot and get back in the saddle!

Brewing right now. A simple mash of 2 row and carapils. Missed my temp by a couple and took a few minutes to get it in. Getting ready to sparge. Feeling pretty decent.

In the garage, Pink Floyd - Wearing the inside out playing on the stereo (Spotify)

have not brewed to Ol' Pink yet, may have to give it a go. Good luck with the brew, let us know how it goes.

I bottled this yesterday. The 1 Gal batch in the glass carboy smelled and tasted great, the 4 gallons in the fermenter smelled a little "sour/green". I may have forgotten what green beer smells like so it might be a false alarm.

I racked the 1 gallon batch into another 1gal carboy and bottled via tubing. I racked 1 gallon from the fermenter into the carboy and bottled via tubing. Then I racked the remaining into my bottling bucket (more than likely was the culprit to begin with) and bottled as per normal.

I had disassembled and boiled the spigot for 10 minutes a couple weeks ago. I boiled it again before reassembling and installing in the bottling bucket, it then got a bleach soak, rinsed, then a starsan soak.

Bottles and sulfiter got a bleach soak and rinse, before starsan.

All bottles are marked and I'll give them a couple weeks to carb, if I can wait that long.

This was a honey ale Partial Mash kit.

5lb 2-row
.5lb Carapils
3lbs Minnesota clover honey (late boil - 20min)
1oz Perle - 60min
1oz Saaz - 15min
Notty yeast @ 66*

I wanted to use a neutral yeast to assure nothing weird came in from the yeast.

Fingers crossed.

Back