About to clean tap for first time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigben

Reaction score
Im about to remove my tap for the first time since using a homebrew keg. What steps need to be taken so prevent beer from being sprayed everwhere.

I am assuming the following.

1. Shutoff gas at the regulator.
2. Remove beer line quick disconnect
- Is a purge required before removing the beer line?
3. Put beer line in bucket and open tap.

How does this sound?

That'll do it. YOu should have no residual pressure in the lines.

What prevents you from just running some sanitizer out of a pressurized spare keg? Then you clean the lines as well.

BierMuncher said:
That'll do it. YOu should have no residual pressure in the lines.

What prevents you from just running some sanitizer out of a pressurized spare keg? Then you clean the lines as well.
The lack of a spare keg :)

Ok, so definitely purge the keg before disconnecting....check.

Thanks!

no need to purge the keg, just unhook the connection and before you unscrew the tap open it up so that the minute amount of pressure left in the line doesn't cause spray. Go get some BLC and soak the faucet in it for about 10 min.

bigben said:
The lack of a spare keg :)

Ok, so definitely purge the keg before disconnecting....check.

Thanks!
One more Question...

I have a little bottle/pump thing that I pump the cleaner through the tap...can I leave the quick disconnect attached to the other end? Will it pump through there?

Drunkensatyr said:
no need to purge the keg, just unhook the connection and before you unscrew the tap open it up so that the minute amount of pressure left in the line doesn't cause spray. Go get some BLC and soak the faucet in it for about 10 min.
o ok, so dont purge :)

I have the BLC and stuff. I've had this kegerator for a while, but just started kegging my homebrew, so I don't want to blow my beer all over the place :)

Step 1 Disconnect keg out post
Step 2 Place keg connector in bucket on floor, put glass under tap, Open tap, 99% of the beer will flow into the bucket
Step 3 Attach beer line to cleaning kit
Step 4 pump until cleaner flows out of faucet, close faucet and let sit for 15-30 min depending on how long it has been since last cleaning. I occasionally burp more cleaner out of the tap to get fresh cleaner in the line.
Step 5 Run all of the cleaner through the tap
Step 6 Make sure all pressure is purged from the line
Step 7 Dissassemble faucet and let soak in cleaner that you caught from the faucet for 15-30 min. If possible use a small brush or pipe cleaner. I use a little brush for cleaning baby bottles.
Step 8 Rinse parts and re-assemble. Rinse cleaning kit with hot water, then fill with hot water
Step 9 Re-attach beer line and run hot water through faucet. I usually do this twice
Step 10 Re-attach keg, pour half a glass of beer and discard
Step 11 enjoy your beer.

I knew it. I'm such a retard.

I hooked the beer line up before I put the tap back on... Beer in my face. I'm so used to using the sanke tap. On top of that, I lost one of the o rings on the beer disconnect so its leaking.

Good thing I have some sierra Nevada or I'd be really pissed off. No homebrew tonight :(

Latest posts

Back