About to brew 1st batch Hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmako

Reaction score
A quick question on adding hops. I plan on adding bittering hops (pellets) to my wort and will use a disposable hop bag and boil for an hour per instructions.

Now my questions, the finishing hops (pellet) calls for 1 min. Now just throw them in the wort? Strain them out at end of boil? Just leave them in basically forever?
Put them in the bag along with the bittering hops and remove both in a min.?

Sorry a bit confused.

I use a seperate bag. Just chunk them in with a minute left in the boil and remove both bags at the same time.

timdsmith72 said:
I use a seperate bag. Just chunk them in with a minute left in the boil and remove both bags at the same time.

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing after I posted. I'll cut bag in half and make two bags.

dmako said:
Thanks! I was thinking the same thing after I posted. I'll cut bag in half and make two bags.
Don't pack them to tight.Make sure to have room for the wort to freely move through the hops for extraction purposes.

Blender said:
Don't pack them to tight.Make sure to have room for the wort to freely move through the hops for extraction purposes.
Seconded...don't want to pack them too tight because they will expand...a lot...

Its a muslin bag thats about 2+ feet long and stretchy. Now I have two :) Next time I'll order more bags. I have a nice nylon bag for grains.

Start in 45 min!!

Back