About to bottle my Cider. Carbonation and back sweetening questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddyb

Reaction score
My Cider is ready to bottle and I want to carbonate it and add a little back sweetener.

Last year I cabonated with white sugar and back sweetened with Xylitol, which seemed to work well.

I have two questions:

Is there any other type of sugar/sweetener that I can use for carbonation instead of white sugar that would add a little flavour/texture etc? I have some Dark Muscovado (Unfefined Cane Sugar) in the cupboard that might work?

Can I add Xylitol straight to the bottle or do I need to dilute it first? How much per bottle for slightly sweetened cider?

Thanks in advance!

You can prime with any sugar you want - honey, frozen concentrate, etc, you just need to know the quantity to add for your desired carbonation level. There's a calculator on Northern Brewer's web site for how much sugar, and I've seen here on the forum that one can of FAJC works well for 5 gallons.

When I use Xylitol it's 3 TBSP per gallon for my tastes. That's a bit less than 1 TSP per bottle.

You can prime with any sugar you want - honey, frozen concentrate, etc, you just need to know the quantity to add for your desired carbonation level. There's a calculator on Northern Brewer's web site for how much sugar, and I've seen here on the forum that one can of FAJC works well for 5 gallons.

When I use Xylitol it's 3 TBSP per gallon for my tastes. That's a bit less than 1 TSP per bottle.

Thanks for your reply. Do you dilute the Xylitol with water/cider, or do you just add the power straight to the bottles?

Will priming with honey etc add any extra flavour if its only a small amount for carbonation?

I always rack my cider to a bottling bucket (stainless soup pot) to insure that I leave all the sediment behind. So mixing the priming sugar / sweetener is done in bulk, not by the bottle. I'll put a couple cups of cider in a clean Pyrex measuring cup and mix the sugars well in that and stir it into the pot.

Priming sugar will add very little flavor.

I keep reading about FAJC. Where can I buy this? If I can't get any, could regular pure AJ be used for priming? How much per bottle?

Been to the super rmarket to pick up some sugar. As well as standard white table sugar, I picked up some "fruit sugar" (Fructose) and Agave Nectar (tastes like butterscotch!) Worth a go or will it just ferment out without leaving any additional flavour?

I keep reading about FAJC. Where can I buy this? If I can't get any, could regular pure AJ be used for priming? How much per bottle?

FAJC=Frozen Apple Juice Concentrate. You should be able to find it in any grocery store. You can always buy it online too. Amazon sells it. I usually add between 3-4 oz of FAJC per gallon, or 12-16 oz of regular apple juice.

It would be difficult to measure that out into individual bottles. You can mix it in your bottling bucket.

Thanks. I'm only making a small batch and want to experiment a bit, so I might only want to add it to 3 or 4 bottles, so its easier to go by the bottle. So, if I have the calculations right, about 4ml FAJC or 40ml juice per 500ml bottle?

Closer to 9 to 12 ml FAJC, assuming you're using 12 oz bottles. Multiply by 4 for regular apple juice.

Oops, i missed that you replied with your bottle size. For 500ml bottles it looks like around 12.5 ml to 16.5 ml FAJC.

Latest posts

Back