About to begin my kegerator... Qs on regulator and couplers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonneville

Reaction score
I'm about to convert by Sanyo 4912 to a kegerator. I've read a ton of stuff in the kegging sticky including the excellent detailed description of this specific conversion. However, I have a few questions that I cannot find the answer to.

I currently have one corny keg, a 5# CO2 tank, a dual gauge/single outlet regulator, and a plastic picnic tap. I'm planning on a dual-tap tower set-up. Based on the recommendations in this forum, I'm planning a stainless tower.

First question is regarding the regulator. Is it possible to just add a 'Y' to the existing regulator for 2 outputs? It appears 2-keg regulators are the sames as 1-keg regulators except for the 'Y'. I'm not sure if this is available seperately and, if so, where. I have also considered dual-inline regulators to independently control PSI, but this is a bit more costly.

Second, there are several nice kegerator conversion kits (from Micromatic, Beverage Factory), but they include couplers for Sanky kegs. I use soda corny kegs, so the couplers are useless. However, buying the individual components makes (less couplers) is about the same price as the kit. Are there any high quality kits that are more oriented to home brewers? Have people just bought the kits and used only what's needed?

Thanks! Looking forward to pulling a draft without opening the fridge door.

First question is regarding the regulator. Is it possible to just add a 'Y' to the existing regulator for 2 outputs? It appears 2-keg regulators are the sames as 1-keg regulators except for the 'Y'. I'm not sure if this is available seperately and, if so, where. I have also considered dual-inline regulators to independently control PSI, but this is a bit more costly.

you can split with a y (I used a T and an air distributor) or look into an air distributor to split multiple routes. Once you have the regulator, the rest is pretty much just routing of the airtubes. As for controlling indicidual PSI, i looked into getting multiple inline regs but its really pricy....ill buy in due time i giess

Second, there are several nice kegerator conversion kits (from Micromatic, Beverage Factory), but they include couplers for Sanky kegs. I use soda corny kegs, so the couplers are useless. However, buying the individual components makes (less couplers) is about the same price as the kit. Are there any high quality kits that are more oriented to home brewers? Have people just bought the kits and used only what's needed?

I think you'll find they have what you need. For example, Beverage Factory has a conversion kit that uses corney keg couplers - they're called Homebrew conversion kits:

Homebrew Kegerator Conversion Kits for Home Bar | BeverageFactory.com

Thanks guys. Keg Connection has some good stuff. BF homebrew kits are close too. Are Perlick faucets worth the $$? Any other "spend money here" or "avoid this" advice from those who have been through it. It's usually best to do it right the first time, I think. Thanks!

I was looking for the link but I can't find them on superior products site at the moment, but I would recommend the Perlick forward sealing faucets. I replaced my sticky taps after about a month :)

Thanks guys. Keg Connection has some good stuff. BF homebrew kits are close too. Are Perlick faucets worth the $$? Any other "spend money here" or "avoid this" advice from those who have been through it. It's usually best to do it right the first time, I think. Thanks!

i bought the regular taps and to my great regret they stick quite alot. At times i have been afraid of breaking off the handle (just to give you an idea of how beer can gunk everything up) I can buy 2 regular taps as well as some other stuff for the same price as 1 perlick so it gets expensive fast.

I was looking for the link but I can't find them on superior products site at the moment, but I would recommend the Perlick forward sealing faucets. I replaced my sticky taps after about a month :)

I agree, go for the forward sealing faucets. I haven't upgraded yet but I HATE sticky taps! :mad:

Where did you find that Sanyo? I have been looking! :)

I've had the Sanyo for about 6 months. Just bought at the local BestBuy.

I think I going to go stainless tower, 2 Perlick faucets. It's cheaper to buy Perlicks now than regular now and Perlicks later.

Back