A-Z Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigd

Reaction score
Anybody make the A-Z Brown ale from "Extreme Brewing" by Sam from DFH? It looks like an interesting brew but I'm curious to see some tasting reviews. It seems to me it will come out like a big porter but I'm okay with that... I don't have the book with me but I believe the OG was like 1072! The part that has me worried is the high percentage of fermentables that aren't malt (maple syrup, candi sugar, etc...)

I just read the book and was interested in how that turned out as well....interesting additions of adjuncts and at different times. Brew it and let me know!

I had the book for awhile and have tried the cherry ale over the summer. Extreme brews are not my thing but I will be brewing this sometime in January and will respond.

so this was a looong time ago, but i'm looking at brewing it as well. How'd it turn out?! Was there a good maple flavor in it?

Did you ever brew it? I brewed 2 batches yesterday and they are in the carboys bubbling away. I used cali ale yeast in one and belguim ale yeast in the other just to see what the difference would be.

I've made this batch in early 2011. In fact I had it bottled in middle of April 2011. I sampled a bottle here and there and it was about mid July before it was noticeably carbonated. It had a huge molasses flavor at the time and basically very bold.

I shared out a few bottles and basically forgot about them in my lager chamber until I was ready to move in Feb 2012 and I tried a couple bottles and it was a totally different beer!! Very smooth and the flavors all mellowed out. It was still a beer with a potent ABV but unlike its youthful age at 3 and 4 months, this was a beer I could drink a few a day easy and enjoy the flavor. Another plus was this beer was finally fully carbonated like a tingly rootbeer.

I had this stored for a few months in my basement which is 65F or better until about July where I placed the remaining bottles in my lager chamber that is around 40F. My first impression was its just too bold flavored and strong, but now after being patient and letting it come into its own, I will brew this again and again. Its a very nice Brown ale with kick! Its about a year old and with a target ABV of 9%, I should have known it'd take this long before its ripe and ready to drink!

I brewed this recipe and after one week it is fully carbonated with a thick creamy head. I made sure to use the exact high quality ingredients with no substitutions. This brew is probably the best dark ale I've ever had. It has a mellow maple finish and aroma. I'll have another batch of this going soon and look forward to trying more recipes from this excellent book.

Back