A Weekend of Firsts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shooter

Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I don't really start a lot of threads. Normally I like to limit my activity in these forums to smart ass comments. However, I'm filled with a bit of nervous anticipation about this weekend.

I'll be sampling my first beer that had proper fermentation temperature control this evening. It also happens to be the first beer I ever kegged. All I know is, the sample I tasted at kegging was awesome. So, I'm REALLY crossing my fingers on this one.

I'm also trying the first bottle of my first batch of mead. It's now six months old and I want to see how it's doing.

Finally, I am making another step forward with my brewing. I plan on trying my first partial mash tomorrow. I'm making a nice basic oatmeal stout, which just happens to be a style I love. Oh heck, who am I kidding I love ALL the styles!!!

It's all just a little too exciting. I feel like a giddy little school girl! :D

Yoo hoo! Of course you are giddy. This is the best hobby in the world.

Of course, AG is right around the corner. That will bring a new wave of "holy crap I made this" feelings. Just wait.

This hobby's greatness keeps growing like Jack's Beanstalk. Climb!

Temp control is HUGE; the quality of your beer just went way up, and it will stay there. Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing in my excitement everyone!

I naturally carbed this first keg, just to see how it went. I vented the pressure and hooked up the C02. I'm using short hose picnic taps and was getting a lot of foam at only about 10 psi serving pressure. I turned it down to about five psi to push the beer and that seems to cut the foaming down significantly. So, I decided to try a bit of this First Time for Everything IPA. A little cloudy, not bad, but I expected that in the first few pints with the natural priming. Then, I tasted it...OMFG!!!!! I've made several beers I thought were good, but was never quite to that stage where I thought my homebrew was as good as an average craft beer. I'm there now...I LOVE this beer!!!

Wow, I sure do love this hobby!

That is awesome, I can't wait to get home from my deployment and get my kegging system going. I can't wait for draft beer I have made. Sounds like your was great. Congrads and enjoy one for me.

congrats dude.
Only downside i have found to having a ton of beer on tap at home is...well....Getting so freakin hammered you forget the stupid irish moss or what time the last hop addition went in :mug:

Well, like I said, the beer was good. The wife is trying a little of the mead right now. It seems very drinkable at six months. I had another first this afternoon, first boil over...I forgot to add the foam control drops, but luckily I caught it quickly. The partial mash went well and I hit the target gravity. So, I'm pretty pleased at this point. Life is good!

Back