A watched pot ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Or in this case, one of my garage doors. If I watch it close, it closes all the way and stays closed. If I tap the button and leave the garage, it will re-open about 90% of the time. Annoying and very consistent.

How does it know?

Garage Gnomes, pesky little bastards! they run and trip the beam sending the door back up when you aren't watching. I have set out several traps to catch them in my garage to no avail, in retaliation for the traps they hide my tools and knot up my extension cords.

On a serious note you can simply increase the close force on the motor (should be a small potentiometer on the side of the drive) to help prevent re-open occurrences.

There's something living in your garage. Probably a small gnome as azscoob suggests. It runs out whenever you open the door. Then, the minute you close the door and leave, it runs back in, tripping the sensor. They're sneaksy.

Gnomes are one possibility, but I tend to assume demonic possession whenever the opportunity arises. Your garage door has been inhabited by a demon, intent on driving you crazy, aka Hitchcock's Gaslight. I suggest yelling "Get thee behind me Satan" every time you open or close the garage door. If nothing else, it will give the neighbors something to talk about . . .

But why just one of the doors? On the other hand, I came back from shopping Thursday and they were both open. I am absolutely certain they were closed when I left.

Too cold from most gnomes up here, probably trolls, wood rats or rock gophers.

could be a hobgoblin, they too are quite mischevious, and are also tall enough to hit the garage door button. thankfully it is too hot here in the desert for them, I would NOT want a hobgoblin infestation!

Back