A real noob here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtobrew1981

Reaction score
So a few questions about pitching. I'm going to be brewing a beer soon 60% bohemian pilsner 40 % malted wheat and maybe 5 or less ibus of hops or none. So im thinking of kettle souring with oyl 605 or tyb lab blend . And pitching white labs French saison mix primary and tyb amalgamation ll in the secondary. So my questions are do I kettle sour , pitch sacc Brett sec. Or sacc first then lab and Brett in sec.

Last edited:
Do the full boil with ZERO hops. Transfer 100F wort to sanitized fermentor (iodophor works better than star san for this task). Pitch lacto culture and allow the temp to drop to room temp over 48 hours. Check ph, which will be somewhere around 3.2 to 3.5. Pitch yeast and Brett at the same time. Ferment for 2 weeks. Transfer to secondary to minimize headspace/o2 exposure. Package when it tastes good and gravity is stable. If you plan to add fruit and the beer has been aging for a while, it’s a good idea to pitch a fresh sacchromyces or Brettanomyces culture when you rack onto fruit (old tired cultures from the primary ferment may be slow to referment the fruit causing off flavors, pitching a new culture greatly minimizes the risk).

Back