A question regarding ink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OdinOneEye

Reaction score
I'm designing my own label using linoleum-block printing for that hand-crafted/symbolic/mystical/old school look.
And I don't have any fancy computer programs, nor the inclination or money to purchase them.
What would be a good method to waterproof my labels, since my plan basically is to carve out the stamp, get a good print and then scan the sucker onto my computer, shrink it down to beer-bottle/wine bottle size and go from there.

For those who are curious, my design is an Ouroboros (circular snake-eating-tail symbol) surrounding a Celtic trinity with an apple in the middle (Ok, ok, this is for my cider, I admit it) and in the open spaces, Norse runes Jera for the harvest, Ansuz for omens and Wunjo for joy.
I can post a picture of it later, soon as I get it carved out and perfected.

But yeah- what would be a good means to waterproof my labels is what I really want to know.:ban:

The linoleum block printing is an awesome idea. I'm really interested in seeing what you come up with.

RENAISSANCE WAX/POLISH is arguably overkill for beer or wine bottle labels. It is, however, used by the best museums and conservationists in the world.

This Lumijet ImageShield Protective Spray for Inkjet Prints seems expensive at $20 per can, (good for 60 8x10 photos), but I doubt you need three coats and you could coat your labels before cutting them up off the original sheet.

This Sureguard Archival UV Protective, Glossy Print Spray is probably more like what you need.

Search for photo lacquer and you'll probably find more choices.

If you must carve the block, just print one. Then take it to somebody with a lazer color copier. I took mine to the print shop nexr door, he put 6 to a page on his color copier. Lazers use powdered ink that is fused together, so water proof. Then, I use a glue stick to paste the labeles on.

There is no real "name." It's all about the symbolism. EDIT: I ran it through Photoshop and polished her up a little bit. This is more like it.

Oroborous003.jpg

casebrew said:
If you must carve the block, just print one. Then take it to somebody with a lazer color copier. I took mine to the print shop nexr door, he put 6 to a page on his color copier. Lazers use powdered ink that is fused together, so water proof. Then, I use a glue stick to paste the labeles on.
Laser printers aren't the catch-all answer. I use a color laser to print my labels, and sometimes the graphics tend to "flake" as I'm applying the label to the bottle. It happens.

So, maybe use a combination of lazer-printer and the anti-moisture spray?

OdinOneEye said:
So, maybe use a combination of lazer-printer and the anti-moisture spray?
I've tried many combinations, and found only one foolproof method of labels that didn't flake or run when they got wet - but it was expensive. I had 50 labels made for me by a local BOP place that accepts either custom designed lables or you can pick from their templates. They have them professionally printed for you on specialty label paper. They worked great but boy did it cost more than my laser printer/Avery label solution.

Back in grade school we used ordinary hair spray to set our chalk drawings, works great on beer lables as well.

Waldo said:
Back in grade school we used ordinary hair spray to set our chalk drawings, works great on beer lables as well.
Yep. Good ol' Aqua Net. I've never used it on beer labels, but it does work to set chalk, pastel, etc. Not sticky after it dries either.
On the only batch I labeled, I used a laser printer. The glue came loose before the "ink" ran.

I use hairspray to put grips on my mountain bike, never thought of using it on lables. I have a cheap roll laminator that I run my lables through. I don't put them on bottles though, just tap handles.

Collartaps93.jpg

Depending how long you plan on keeping your labels on the bottle and setting them in a cooler full of ice and water...how about getting a HUGE roll of laminate from Wally World for about $5? ;)

You can place it over your label and cut to size for the label and bottle.

It's a really thin laminate without too much adhesive.

Back