How to Label Bottles Using a Thermal Printer For 1-3 Cents A Label!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackonblack

Reaction score
Ok everyone. I thought I'd share a little discovery to anyone who’s interested. After bottling my last few batches I decided that my bottles needed a little pizazz. As I've ramped up my brewing I found myself storing a few different varieties of beer but no real way to label them easily and cheaply and decipher one from another. My beers have been in a bit more in demand amongst friends these days and I thought it would be nice to label them so my friends know what the heck I’ve brewed em.. Furthermore, wouldn't it be nice to EASILY AND CHEAPLY label bottles and provide a complete ingredient list and instructions to fellow home brewers? Hand a buddy a bottle and if he likes it he's got everything he needs to know to brew a copy right on the bottle?

These labels are far from glamorous. But this technique will indeed put data on a beer bottle. Nothing fancy.

I found an alternative to traditional "home brew caliber" expensive bottle labels by using a Thermal Label Printer. (Zebra Model LP2844).

A thermal printer does not use ink so they cost next to nothing to operate and print insanely quickly. They use a special label paper that turns shades of black when heat is applied via an internal laser. Labels for these printers are practically free. A roll of 4x6 adhesive labels contains 250 labels. On ebay you can buy 2 rolls (500 total) for $14 dollars shipped. THATS A COST OF 2.7 CENTS A LABEL. By buying in bulk you can get the labels under 2 cents each. In short you can label a six pack for 16 (or less) cents and printing 6 labels takes about 6 seconds.

Pros of labeling Bottles With a Zebra Thermal Printer:

Ridiculously cheap labels. For the first time in your life you won’t cringe when you print 50 mostly black labels because the device uses no ink. 50 labels will cost you $1.35 max. 50% less if you buy in bulk.

Speed.

Thermal printers were developed for use in high volume printing so they are extremely fast. Each label prints in about 1-3 seconds.

The standard shipping labels which are 4x6 seem to be the perfect size for a beer bottle! And the labels are already adhesive so just peel and stick!

These labels remove far easier than commercial beer bottle labels.

Cons:

You'll have to acquire a label printer. I recommend the Zebra LP2844. Perfect working refurbished units can be found for $120-$150 on eBay and similiar sites.. Tons are availabe refurished as UPS bought thousands to lease to shipping customers. These were sold off as they were returned. Mine is marked UPS LP2844.

Color: Thermal printers to my understanding print only in greyscale so I hope black and white are your favorite colors. They print text perfectly crisp but hugely lack in printing photos. That’s just not what they were developed for. I've attached some photos to see how they print images.

As basically a shipping label I was surprised how well they held up when they got wet! The label feels almost plasticky and it didn't turn to mush like id expected. Furthermore there is no ink on the labels so no ink running! These labels are good to go getting wet in a cooler but I'm sure aren't as durable as commercial labels.

After you've found a printer. Connect via USB to a PC. Zebra has full support for the LP2844 so you can get drivers and even free label printing software through their website.

Once you've printed the label tear it off and remove the backing. Place the label face down with the adhesive side up on a flat surface and like a rolling pin roll the bottle over the label while applying pressure... Labeled.

You can print and label a 6 pack in under a minute.

The Printer:

Designing a Label with the Free zebra software:

Few different bottles: you can see how crisp the text is. I tried printing a zombie dust logo just for fun:

Zombie Dust label out of the printer:

Custom label with complete recipe:

Another black and white label

Box of label rolls from eBay.

Excellent labels!

One question that I'm sure people will be asking - how hard is it to remove the labels afterwards to reuse the bottles?

Excellent labels!

One question that I'm sure people will be asking - how hard is it to remove the labels afterwards to reuse the bottles?

Thank you! They come off easily especially compared to commercial labels. Most of the label peels off with no residue. Warm water and they come right off. There is no glue residue on these labels. It's like a big sticker.

I tested these getting wet yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised with their durability. They stayed intact. Didn't peel or ink run. These labels should be good to go for a day in an ice chest.

Deterring an almost 6 years old thread... I'm thinking about doing the same. Just wanted to know if I can see some examples. The pictures in the OP are broken now.

Deterring an almost 6 years old thread... I'm thinking about doing the same. Just wanted to know if I can see some examples. The pictures in the OP are broken now.

This could be a cool idea. If you came up with a cool grayscale label / logo, or go 80's pixels it could make for some cool labels.

I'm gonna look into label design software for this to see what I can dream up.

Great Idea. These printers are used in industrial applications with great success. Never thought about using for bottling. I would also like to see pics if anyone is using still.

Used Inkscape to make some simple labels. The thermal printer worked great!
received_544126656292133.png

Ok everyone. I thought I'd share a little discovery to anyone whos interested. After bottling my last few batches I decided that my bottles needed a little pizazz. As I've ramped up my brewing I found myself storing a few different varieties of beer but no real way to label them easily and cheaply and decipher one from another. My beers have been in a bit more in demand amongst friends these days and I thought it would be nice to label them so my friends know what the heck Ive brewed em.. Furthermore, wouldn't it be nice to EASILY AND CHEAPLY label bottles and provide a complete ingredient list and instructions to fellow home brewers? Hand a buddy a bottle and if he likes it he's got everything he needs to know to brew a copy right on the bottle?

These labels are far from glamorous. But this technique will indeed put data on a beer bottle. Nothing fancy.

I found an alternative to traditional "home brew caliber" expensive bottle labels by using a Thermal Label Printer. (Zebra Model LP2844).

A thermal printer does not use ink so they cost next to nothing to operate and print insanely quickly. They use a special label paper that turns shades of black when heat is applied via an internal laser. Labels for these printers are practically free. A roll of 4x6 adhesive labels contains 250 labels. On ebay you can buy 2 rolls (500 total) for $14 dollars shipped. THATS A COST OF 2.7 CENTS A LABEL. By buying in bulk you can get the labels under 2 cents each. In short you can label a six pack for 16 (or less) cents and printing 6 labels takes about 6 seconds.

Pros of labeling Bottles With a Zebra Thermal Printer:

Ridiculously cheap labels. For the first time in your life you wont cringe when you print 50 mostly black labels because the device uses no ink. 50 labels will cost you $1.35 max. 50% less if you buy in bulk.

Speed.

Thermal printers were developed for use in high volume printing so they are extremely fast. Each label prints in about 1-3 seconds.

The standard shipping labels which are 4x6 seem to be the perfect size for a beer bottle! And the labels are already adhesive so just peel and stick!

These labels remove far easier than commercial beer bottle labels.

Cons:

You'll have to acquire a label printer. I recommend the Zebra LP2844. Perfect working refurbished units can be found for $120-$150 on eBay and similiar sites.. Tons are availabe refurished as UPS bought thousands to lease to shipping customers. These were sold off as they were returned. Mine is marked UPS LP2844.

Color: Thermal printers to my understanding print only in greyscale so I hope black and white are your favorite colors. They print text perfectly crisp but hugely lack in printing photos. Thats just not what they were developed for. I've attached some photos to see how they print images.

As basically a shipping label I was surprised how well they held up when they got wet! The label feels almost plasticky and it didn't turn to mush like id expected. Furthermore there is no ink on the labels so no ink running! These labels are good to go getting wet in a cooler but I'm sure aren't as durable as commercial labels.

After you've found a printer. Connect via USB to a PC. Zebra has full support for the LP2844 so you can get drivers and even free label printing software through their website.

Once you've printed the label tear it off and remove the backing. Place the label face down with the adhesive side up on a flat surface and like a rolling pin roll the bottle over the label while applying pressure... Labeled.

You can print and label a 6 pack in under a minute.

The Printer:

Designing a Label with the Free zebra software:

Few different bottles: you can see how crisp the text is. I tried printing a zombie dust logo just for fun:

Zombie Dust label out of the printer:

Custom label with complete recipe:

Another black and white label

Box of label rolls from eBay.

Hi blackonblack, I am interested in this kind of printer, it's an inexpensive way to print my label, I am just curious about limitations like black and white and resolution, could you please share some picture about your labels, I saw in your post in no longer possible to see your pictures. thanks in advanced.

Hi blackonblack, I am interested in this kind of printer, it's an inexpensive way to print my label, I am just curious about limitations like black and white and resolution, could you please share some picture about your labels, I saw in your post in no longer possible to see your pictures. thanks in advanced.
The member who originally posted this thread 9 years ago hasn’t been active since 2017. None of the other members who responded above you are active anymore either. It’s possible someone else who reads this now might be able to help, however.

These type of printers are used a lot for printing shipping address labels. In my experience, the resolution is quite poor, but it is hard to notice when you're just printing out text.

Latest posts

Back