A question about Brett - (Claussenii), redux

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
On March 3rd (2020) I pitched some B. Claussenii onto a solution of lactose and water (1.024) with the hope that this Brett would ferment the lactose. I checked the gravity this morning and for all intents and purposes there has been no drop in gravity (perhaps a point or two, but that may be simply because some of the particulates have dropped out of solution). I understand that B. Claussenii can take months to ferment anything but does 70 days (+/-) suggest that this experiment is done and that the evidence suggests that B. Clauss. cannot ferment lactose? (in the meantime, I have been adding lactase to my whey and have been successfully fermenting the lactose that way. My last batch with indigenous yeast I collected from some raisins and that batch (after about 8 days) produced a very drinkable low ABV whey "beer" (about 3%). Very bright and refreshing (I used a multi-vitamin tab to provide the nutrients for the yeast).

If your strain could ferment the sugar, it would have dropped the gravity within 2 weeks or so. So, it can't.

Back