A new ice age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
Spring is never coming. I'm serious. It's not coming. My father-in-law called yesterday to report that they were having snow in Louisiana. Apparently it snowed enough where he lives to cover the ground with about an inch of nice, white fluffy stuff.

It seems that God has decided to send a message to all those scientists and politicians out there who know everything and who have declared that anyone foolish enough not to believe in global warming should join the Flat Earth Society need to be given a wake-up call. We are actually now in a mini ice age. God is putting them in their place. Unfortunately, the rest of us poor souls have to suffer.

I optimistically bought the ingredients to brew a modified batch of Ed's Haus Pale this weekend. I woke up today to find a dusting of more new snow on top of all the stuff we already have. It's now 14 F and only supposed to get up to 22 F. Yech. I can do most of my AG brews inside, but still need to go outside to do the boil. I think I may just wait until tomorrow when we have a 28 degree heat wave.

There is a thread going in the Cooking section about St. Pat's Day. I normally think of it as being spring on the 17th. Not this year.

McCall St. Brewer said:
Spring is never coming. I'm serious. It's not coming. My father-in-law called yesterday to report that they were having snow in Louisiana. Apparently it snowed enough where he lives to cover the ground with about an inch of nice, white fluffy stuff.

It seems that God has decided to send a message to all those scientists and politicians out there who know everything and who have declared that anyone foolish enough not to believe in global warming should join the Flat Earth Society need to be given a wake-up call. We are actually now in a mini ice age. God is putting them in their place. Unfortunately, the rest of us poor souls have to suffer.

I optimistically bought the ingredients to brew a modified batch of Ed's Haus Pale this weekend. I woke up today to find a dusting of more new snow on top of all the stuff we already have. It's now 14 F and only supposed to get up to 22 F. Yech. I can do most of my AG brews inside, but still need to go outside to do the boil. I think I may just wait until tomorrow when we have a 28 degree heat wave.

There is a thread going in the Cooking section about St. Pat's Day. I normally think of it as being spring on the 17th. Not this year.

Relief is coming, supposed to be mid 40's all next week, your not to far away from us so hopefully you will get the heat wave too.

BTW: Global warming is not what the current phenomenon is called. It is what will happen globally, but the true name is climate change. Having snow in Louisiana this late may be attributable to climate change... Climate change > global warming. As in, climate change includes global warming (the average temperature may rise).

As a kid (northern Illinois), I remember many an Easter service in the snow. Oestre was never the most reliable of goddesses.

mrfocus said:
BTW: Global warming is not what the current phenomenon is called. It is what will happen globally, but the true name is climate change. Having snow in Louisiana this late may be attributable to climate change... Climate change > global warming. As in, climate change includes global warming (the average temperature may rise).

The "current phenomena" was renamed when the evidence started to roll in that climate changes happen independently of the activities of mankind. Calling natural cycles "climate change" still allows the enviroweenies to keep their political agenda and fund raising activities afloat.

skinfiddler said:
The "current phenomena" was renamed when the evidence started to roll in that climate changes happen independently of the activities of mankind. Calling natural cycles "climate change" still allows the enviroweenies to keep their political agenda and fund raising activities afloat.

This amazes me. You don't happen to be a Fox News viewer? ;)

(Hint: phenomena is plural. "the phenomenon was renamed"/"the phenomena were renamed")

link

Kai said:
This amazes me. You don't happen to be a Fox News viewer? ;)

(Hint: phenomena is plural. "the phenomenon was renamed"/"the phenomena were renamed")

link

I find Fox News too far left for my tastes.

Thanks for the hint, but properly stated plurals had nothing to do with either point being made- ( but you knew that anyhow. It was just an effort to minimise validity of my point.

Here's a hint for you: Wikipedia is not even allowed in my daughter's (middle school) classes to be used as a source. Perhaps it is in yours.

Here then is some reading for you.

http://heartland.temp.siteexecutive.com/pdf/22835.pdf

http://ibdeditorial.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=287279412587175

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/ThomasSowell/2007/02/13/global_hot_air

I have many more if you'd like ;)

I love that we're having a troll war about global warming on this forum. Maybe we should move it over to fark.

Nonetheless, here's a good response to the articles suggesting our current phenomenon is due to fluctuations in the sun's output. I apologise if Sci-Am is less trustworthy than hardline right-wing thinktanks or editorials in business journals.
(If you want editorials in business journals, try the Economist. I can't share the articles with you because it's a payed website, but they're damn clever.)

The information is available to you. Take advantage of it.

EDIT: I offered the link to the Wikipedia article because of the very good bibliography. Encyclopaedias are for quick reference, never research, and Wikipedia is no different. But check out some of the sources that Wiki article links to.

EDITEDIT: changed the mistake link on this page to the Scientific American article I meant to link to.

A "troll war" in a thread entitled "new ice age?" It should be a forgone conclusion that a paying member would not be considered a troll.

I am the one who should apologize son. You don't have a clue about life yet.

Still the sources are there for you to read if you wish.

Good luck.

skinfiddler said:
A "troll war" in a thread entitled "new ice age?" It should be a forgone conclusion that a paying member would not be considered a troll.

I am the one who should apologize son. You don't have a clue about life yet.

Still the sources are there for you to read if you wish.

Good luck.

IB4TL...But i have to say that seems rather egotistical and harsh. Do you know his life story? Let alone his age, occupation, family, history...anything?

I'm just saying i've been around this board quite a while and that lines like that always get my goat. Now coming from a youngster...cool it dudes. ***** about the weather all you want, keep it civil though.

EDIT: After viewing profiles i realize he is significantly younger, but my point still remains. That's a very marginalizing statement.

A thousand years is weather, not climate. This is climate:

IceCores1.gif

move to the east coast of PA, we haven't had a good winter in a long time :( I swear we are a geographical oddity, snow everywhere else but here.

skinfiddler said:

icon_clap1.gif

Kai said:
I love that we're having a troll war about global warming on this forum. Maybe we should move it over to fark.

Nonetheless, here's a good response to the articles suggesting our current phenomenon is due to fluctuations in the sun's output. I apologise if Sci-Am is less trustworthy than hardline right-wing thinktanks or editorials in business journals.

We have a global warming thread, I recommend it.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=28887&highlight=global+warming

Let's go.

david_42 said:
A thousand years is weather, not climate. This is climate:

IceCores1.gif

Did you get that straight off of Al Gore's website? :rolleyes:

No, it's out of Nature (June 1999). It is also available on realclimate.org

Two interesting points: 1. the interglacial warm period has lasted thousands of years more than average. 2. the CO2 spike (but not temperatures) is unlike any prior event.

skinfiddler said:
QFT! When this season's temps are averaged in it shows cooling trends, not warming, so the tune from the alarmists is changing as well.
ETA:
Why is that everything like this "phenomenon" takes more taxes to fix? Why does it always come down to blaming this on some item that inevitably is a desirable object of those that tend to be successful in life? Why does the bottom line always come down to penalizing those who have more, usually by others who have more, in the name of those who have less?

david_42 said:
No, it's out of Nature (June 1999). It is also available on realclimate.org

Two interesting points: 1. the interglacial warm period has lasted thousands of years more than average. 2. the CO2 spike (but not temperatures) is unlike any prior event.

I may have read the chart wrong anyway--I assumed red was temperature.

It looks to be the opposite of what Al Gore said anyway. Al Gore's CO2 theory is flat out wrong.

Dude said:
I may have read the chart wrong anyway--I assumed red was temperature.

It looks to be the opposite of what Al Gore said anyway. Al Gore's CO2 theory is flat out wrong.

yeah, whatever, dude. like you know jack about weather/climate :rolleyes: :p

cubbies said:
You could take the words "CO2" and "theory" out of that sentence and still be accurate about many different topics.
The funny thing then is you could take out the name Al Gore and insert quite a few other prominent names and 'still be accurate about many different topics'.;)

Back