A lot of foam but no carbonation inside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harvestsmiles

Reaction score
I've noticed that after I keg, often times I will carbonate the keg but end up with big head/foam and very little carbonation in the beer itself.
I keg, then carbonate to about 25psi so it speeds up the process. After about a week I get carbonated beer but it's all head, the foam disappears and no bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass... do I just need to wait it out, so the beer absorbs more co2?

It's over carbonated. In the future set your serving pressure and temperature and leave it for two weeks. Set it and forget it can't fail. I posted a similar reply to the duplicate post. Just putting this here in case of future searchers.

Ironically, one of the symptoms of over carbonated beer is the product in the glass is flat. The carbonation comes out of suspension when you pour. It moves through the beer picking up proteins which form head. The action is vigorous which churns up the beer and the cycle feeds itself until the co2 is exhausted. Less carbonation means the co2 comes out of suspension more slowly, forms a smaller ( although still magnificent) head and lacing on the glass. If you have an overcarbed beer still in the keg, disconnect the gas, purge the keg and let it sit an hour. Pour a short glass, repeat until the product is acceptable. turn co2 down to 12psi or so for serving and enjoy.

I take a long time to drink a keg, so I have enough space in my keezer for 1 keg in addition to those I am serving. I just apply serving pressure ( 12PSI ) and let it sit a month or 6 until a serving keg kicks, then switch the tap lines around and plug another into the on-deck slot.

Back