A little more

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortz

Reaction score
I put that kit in the pot and add the DME and I can't help adding more. Almost double sometimes. In fact I am probably going to start adding a load of dextrose to the carboy to give my fermented beer a second bash at the bottle. Boost that gravity up again and bring it back down. I'll monitor it to see if a fresh shot of yeast needs to be added but that's what this is all about. I remember a few years ago only being able to taste alcohol in the higher alcohol beers, but now I can detect flavours in addition to appreciating the higher alcohol. :cross: I'm just a beginner but it's good fun.

If all you care about is getting alcohol in your system, then more power to ya. If I want higher alcohol, I'd rather go and buy some good vodka that spend my money on bad beer, personally.

Not good to generalise, catty. besides, there's no such thing as good vodka. ;P

Instead of blindly adding fermentables and likely creating an unbalanced beer, why don't you explore higher alcohol styles like imperials, strong ales, etc?

Hey Guys.
It's not blind. I have been reading on strong ales. This is one of the steps in a very popular beer, Duvel. Maybe I came off as an immature college boy boozer looking to boost his lager, but that's not the case. I have range. So far, the added DME gave a smooth quality to a Wheat Ale I made. Besides, appreciating a strong Ale is like appreciating a glass of wine.

Duvel does a lot more than just "add a load of dextrose to the carboy" to make their beer what it is though. If you're doing the research and creating a strong, balanced beer then I applaud you. If you're taking a kit or a recipe for a standard strength beer and adding in a ton of fermentables to up the ABV without making other adjustments, then I'd suggest you do some more reading.

That said, whatever you do with your beer is up to you. If you come out with something in the end that you like and you enjoy drinking, then to hell with the naysayers and rock on man! :rockin:

I have this problem with hops and specialty grains. For the most part my extract batches were two 3 lb bags or 2 3.3 lb cans, or some combination, but the hops, I'd buy extras and mix and match them. But who wants to be left over with 1/4 oz of hops? So instead of merely substituting, I'd just throw more different hops in. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. I also dind't like 1/2 or 1/4 bags of speciaty grains, so I'd increment by the pound. Again, sometimes for the better....

But ya, if you're making stronger beer, and you dig it, brew on! I've made some stronger beers with table sugar and honey, but I don't think the brew was better because of it. It was good in spite of it.

If you're coming up with some awesome brews, post in the recipe section, share the knowledge, maybe someone else is looking for a stronger brew that doesn't just taste like more alcohol.

Back