A little help here please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For my next brew (my 2nd one) I will be making a Weizenbier from a Brewers Best kit. This brew is for SWMBO and seeing how she REALLY likes the Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy I was thinking that I could maybe add some lemonade to it. Or something along those lines.

What would be the best way to do this?

Never had that brew before, but if you want to add some citrus flavor to it, you can add orange and/or lemon peels to the brew. My buddy used some orange peels on a brew and it came out really good.

maybe you should just squeeze a lemon into the beer when you drink it? sorry im n00b im just throwing it out there.

Tophe said:
Never had that brew before, but if you want to add some citrus flavor to it, you can add orange and/or lemon peels to the brew. My buddy used some orange peels on a brew and it came out really good.
Do you add the peels at brew time or 1st or 2nd ferment? How much?
To tell you the truth that Summer Shandy is good. I like proters and stouts but for a lite (not in cals) it's good. I like it when I'm mowing the grass. :D

I used this same kit as the base for my Orange Blossom Special honey wheat. When I got it the guy at the LHBS told me that when he brewed the kit he threw in the peels from 3 generic oranges during the last 10 min of the boil & it turned out great!

Just a tip, I've read that you only want to use the zest (just the orange stuff, no white stuff).

Anyway, thats a great kit for a new brewer & should make a great beer.

Cheers! :mug:

Southwood said:
I used this same kit as the base for my Orange Blossom Special honey wheat. When I got it the guy at the LHBS told me that when he brewed the kit he threw in the peels from 3 generic oranges during the last 10 min of the boil & it turned out great!

Just a tip, I've read that you only want to use the zest (just the orange stuff, no white stuff).

Anyway, thats a great kit for a new brewer & should make a great beer.

Cheers! :mug:

Thanks man.

I've got the Brewers Best Irish stout on 1st ferment right now. It's going to be hard to get away from these kits. I've got the hook up and I get them at the same price the LHBS pays for them. ;)

But this all-grain stuff is sounding like fun.

Im not sure when he added his....I think it was at the end of the boil...which is good because it will sanitize it by boiling it.

I recently was listening to the Jamil show about Belgian Wits, and as to addingcitrus flavor, he adds as much citrus zest as possible at flameout. He says he zested a little bit of ever citrust that he could find. From what I here, the more variety the better.

Heres what I tried. I made a 5 gallon hefeweisen recipe but used Nottingham dry yeast instead for (cleanness) and added lemon zest to secondary (from 10 small organic lemons) and then bottled with 4 packets of lemonade Kool-Aid (just the dry mix, not mixed up with water) + 2/3 cup corn sugar. Its not exactly like the "Shandinator" but it was close and was really good!!

To the OP: I made that kit as my 2nd batch. My only regret is I think the dry yeast that came with the kit petered out prematurely. I never hit the F.G., even after gently swirling the carboy a couple times. Were I to do this kit again, I would use a different yeast.

Also, my version did not have very good head. Were I to do this kit again, I would add 0.5 lb or so of carapils to counteract this.

To the OP: I made that kit as my 2nd batch. My only regret is I think the dry yeast that came with the kit petered out prematurely. I never hit the F.G., even after gently swirling the carboy a couple times. Were I to do this kit again, I would use a different yeast.

Also, my version did not have very good head. Were I to do this kit again, I would add 0.5 lb or so of carapils to counteract this.

Thanks for the info, even though this thread is almost a year and a half old. :D

Back