A little freaked out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynn

Reaction score
I went into the cellar to get a fermenter that was holding some yeast i wanted to wash and the air lock had 20 or so dead fruit flies floating in it. not sure if i want to wash it now. I dont see any ontop of the yeast and it smells like yeast should. ?????????????

its a one piece airlock and the cap has holes in the top

oof. sorry man. those things are the worst. we've been battling them at my place and cant seem to figure out where they're coming from. they were very interested in my efforts when i bottled the other day...but i imagine yeast harvesting is a buttload more finicky. i say try again...use a 3 piece airlock with some starsan solution

on that note, if you find a place where a lot of fruit flies are hanging out, a quick spray of star san has apocalyptic results. it's my new favorite hobby-mass murdering bugs

I had starsan in my lock and they were all dead, but i cant see anything in the wash and it would kill me to have it ruin a brew. I guess thats what i get for waiting 2 weeks before washing.

My bad. I misread and thought the flies were inside the bucket (and I was a bit surprised you were even asking the question). Yes, you're fine.

It was more the shear quantity of flies freaked me out. Seeing this mass watery graveyard you can't but go oh s%^t.

They are attracted to Co2, methane, and other gaseous volatiles from fermentation... They sniff that stuff out for miles. The medium (Airlock solution) is antibacterial so any risk of contamination was neutralized on contact. They may be dead but they are sterile....forever. I wouldn't worry about it as long as the "barrier" (Read airlock) was in place and the little buggers didn't get IN the wash you should be golden.

Cheers,

-JM

Before I got the 1 gallon kosher dills in a glass jug to wash my yeast in,I'd been saving those Tostitos dip jars from the grocery store. I poured in about 2C of sanitized water into the fermenter & swirled all the yeast & trub loose. Then sanitized the dip jars & poured the mess into the jars,labeled,& into the fridge. They'll keep in the fridge fine,but don't leave'em in there more than 2-3 days. The yeast can than flake & clump come washing time & got to the bottom.
Fill the 1G pickle jar about 2/3-3/4's full with boiled & cooled water,dump the slurry in,& wait. The trub will settle out. I just posted an article on "easy yeast washing" in the articles forum in that lil red strip at the top of the forum page with pics if you need more details. As long as there wasn't any suckback,your yeast is safe.

Latest posts

Back