A Kiwi Keezer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiewould

Reaction score
Just a thread logging my progress on a keezer build. NB: I'm not very good at woodwork!

Today I built what I hope to use as a collar. It's made from two lots of 19mm x 135mm treated pine.

I now need to decide how I'm going to run various things in (gas line etc) and whether I'm going to use the pre-wired in-box temperature controller I already bought (http://www.kegking.com.au/Temperature%20Controllers%20and%20Measurement%20Devices.html) or whether to return it and get an STC-1000.

Some questions:

For people with an external gas tank: did you just drill a hole in your collar and run the gas line directly in? Or did you add quick disconnects?

If you've got stuff with plugs/probes already on it (heatpad, probe for temp controller), how did you get the wires through into your freezer without compromising the seal/airtightness of your freezer? Bonus points for removable /reversible solutions. :rockin:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I have 2 Keezer setups with the gas inside on the collar on one and the gas outside on the other. The outside unit is just drilled through the back of the collar. Both work very well, just different gauge readings due to the temp differences.

Looks like it'll get plenty of use.

Cheers!

Varnished (maybe a one or two coats remaining) and started making insulation panels. Ended up using Selleys 'Quik Grip' contact adhesive spray because I couldn't find 3M "90" at Bunnings. It seems to be doing the trick, so I'm guessing it's similar stuff.

6 copy.jpg

7 copy.jpg

Finished making the insulation panels (not yet installed), final coats of varnish on, lid re-intstalled and collar siliconed to freezer.

Man silicone is a ***** - you wipe one spot and it appears somewhere else!

8 copy.jpg

9 copy.jpg

I drilled a 1 1/2 inch hole and installed a copper tube which I took a hole saw and cut foam to match. Everything goes in this hole and the foam was drilled as needed. When everything was checked out I siliconed each side of the copper insert. (inside and outside of keezer. It has worked fine. You could use other insulation if you wished but I know pink or blue foam are great for not taking on water. Great build so far. I insulated collar inside as well. Manifold was attached to additional wood to build out to foam attached to collar. Tank line unscrews at regulator for me.

Hooked up temperature controller. Put down a brew yesterday, using the keezer as a fermentation vessel. Had to pitch yeast at 24c because I couldn't get it down any lower with my immersion chiller, but keezer quickly brought it down to 18c :rockin:

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

How many taps can you get on that? Just curious.

I'm not sure, I haven't bought any kegs yet :D

I've built a false bottom for it (to make it flat for when I'm using it as a fermentation chamber). The internal dimensions (including the false bottom and the collar) are now 460mm x 515mm x 715mm (18.1102"x20.2756"x28.15").

So: assuming a keg size of 9" diameter by 23" height, I think I should be able to fit three or four kegs? Or maybe my maths is wrong?

I'm not sure, I haven't bought any kegs yet :D

I've built a false bottom for it (to make it flat for when I'm using it as a fermentation chamber). The internal dimensions (including the false bottom and the collar) are now 460mm x 515mm x 715mm (18.1102"x20.2756"x28.15").

So: assuming a keg size of 9" diameter by 23" height, I think I should be able to fit three or four kegs? Or maybe my maths is wrong?

Ball locks are 8.5"d x 25"h.
Pin locks are 9"d x 21"h.

I probably don't have your model listed, but check out the links in my sig.

Your model is a bit deeper and narrower than the US models I have listed. That said, yours looks to be a 5 cu ft class, and all the US models in that class can hold 3-4 ball locks with a platform and collar, assuming the CO2 is on the outside.

Back