A hybrid pale ale? Newby in training

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregsB

Reaction score
This is my fourth batch. First batch was a Mr. Beer, second was a gallon all-grain fiasco. Third was my first creation and now fourth is an all-grain batch I plugged into Beer-Smith and tried to keep the perameters within the recommended specifications. My third batch was a bit too bitter. After I plugged it into Beer Smith the IBU's were 108. I'm only brewing 2 gallon batches at the moment using a Mr. Beer fermenter. This last batch I dropped the hop amount and added a bit more grains. hey didn't have any more caramunich hops but the guy said Cara-Pils/Dextrine was similar. I just finished the batch and my gravity was a bit different than than the recipe called for. Actual pre-boil was 1.045 and the post boil was 1.075. It's a BIAB process. My question is how does this recipe look in general and is it going to be any good? NO CRYSTAL LOL!
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 2.58 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.08 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.080 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 62.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 77.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Grains
4 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row)
12.0 oz Munich Malt
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine

Hops
0.50 oz Citra
0.25 oz Cascade

Yeast
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

Looks good still very bitter but you have a high original gravity so it may even out. Carapils is basically a very light crystal malt much lighter than caramunich. I would probably dry hop this with the left over hops.

I also do 2 gallon batches but I use 2 gal buckets from H.D. I boil in a 5 gal bot to eliminate boil overs. Try for 1.8 in fermenter and 18 bottles. Check this video. It's old but only a few changes since it was made

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for the replies. bigdaddybrew I actually saved 13oz of the cascade hops to dry hop. I think I'll plop them in at 4 days. C-Rider The video was great. I learned a couple things. I try to keep it as simple as possible. Everyone has a different method. I try to simplify all that I've learned to suit my current set-up. I live in an apartment with an electric stove so that takes a butt-load of time. Eventually, me and the Mrs. will be moving into a house and I can get roaring with this awesome hobby.

You didn't mention time frames for the hop additions but the IBUs sort of tell the tale I suppose. What were you after? I assume they are in order from bittering to flavoring which would make it quite bitter.

13 oz may be a waste for a dry hop. With as bitter as I assume it will be I'd suggest two dry hops at both 7 and 3 days of 2-3 oz each.

Hahaha I never thought about having 13oz of hops left over! I figured you would have the remainders of two 1 ounce packages of hops left over to dry hop with.

Back