... A few Mead related questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cl330b

Reaction score
Four days ago I decided to try my hand at making Mead. I planned my recipe a couple weeks in advance. I purchased the dry Mead yeast from Wyeast. I purchased raw, un-F'ed with honey. I brought 1 gallon of spring water up to 170f and added some of my favorite passion fruit tea and 32oz. of raw honey. I stirred well and let the tea step for 5 minutes. I then removed the tea bags and racked into my sanitized primary. I let the gallon cool in the fridge before pitching. OG was 1.067. I went to bed. When I woke up the following morning, the airlock was bubbling but not vigorously. I looked at he bottom of the jug and saw this grey sediment. I have not taken another gravity reading yet. It is too soon. I plan to let this batch go for a year.

My questions are:

Is this grey sediment normal for Mead? The "Smack-pack" swelled quite quickly, (I am quite familiar with other Wyeast strains).

Should I rack off of this sediment? Although so far the Mead smells nice.

Does this look like infection?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to offer suggestions.

image-1921683656.png

image-2992294611.png

image-1427764867.png

image-797265097.png

It looks like yeast.
When the gravity gets down to 1.000 or below, rack it to another container and let it age.

Latest posts

Back