A couple of collar questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Movinfr8

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do a collar on my deep-fridge, and am wondering how tall is too tall? If I raise the lid 8 inches or so, I can put kegs on the shelf where the compressor is. What holds the collar in place when the top is being opened and closed? Any suggestions are welcome,
thanks
Norm

8" is fine.

You'll remove the current lid and when your collar is installed, the hinges of the lid will bolt onto the wood collar.

I used finishing nails to frame collar along with wood glue.

I used white caulk to adhere the collar to the base of the freezer.

Again, the lid will simply bolt to the new collar.

Chest_3.JPG

Freezer_WTaps_5.JPG

My collar is only 3". I just use the shelf for the CO2 bottle. No reason to not do eight, but I gaged my collar based on the screw spacing on the lid's hinge. I also have a slight underhand on two sides which hold it in place. The inner collar is about 1/4" longer than the outer one and rests in a groove in the freezer's top lip.

2113-img_1418.jpg

I used an 8" collar because I needed to space so I could fit two kegs on the 'compressor shelf', so use whatever size you need for your freezer. BTW, I glued 1/2" foamboard on the inside of my collar for additional insulation.

Merry Christmas !!!

- GL63

My collar is 2x4 attached with caulk.
I also have foam (sheet) insulation on the inside, which I would recommend if you use an 8" collar.
The main reason for insulating the collar is efficiency: before adding the collar, the freezer coils are near the top of the freezer and cold air "sinks". When you add the taller collars, you're creating a larger headspace above the cooling coils.

Back