A Couple noob water volume ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustinj

Reaction score
Ok. My second all grain is coming up. Cut up keg HLT , 70 qt Coleman mash tun keggle bk. I used way to much water on my first batch and efficiency was terrible. My next beer is an IPA. It calls for mashing in with 6 gallons then batch sparging with 4 gallons. This is a 5 gal recipe btw. My boil off is only 1 gal an hour. Grain absorption was maybe 1/2 gallon last time. Very little tun loss.
Could I 1: use less water to come to 6-6.5 Pre boil or
2: boil for 1-1/2 hours then start my hop additions after 30 minutes of boil.

Thanks

You can just measure your first runnings and then sparge with whatever is needed to bring you up to your boil volume.

That's what I was thinking but my mash volume is damn near what my boil volume should be. I'm thinking mash with 4 gallons and batch sparge with 2 gallons OR build a fly sparge manifold and go that route with 2 gallons.

Mash at 1 gal per 3 lbs, or somewhere between 1.25 and 1.5 qts per Lb.
Drain and measure volume.
Make up whatever pre-boil volume is needed with two equal sparges.
Don't sparge to less than 1.010 SG.

Are you sure your grain absorption was only 1/2 gallon? Typical (with a mash tun not BIAB) is about 1/2 qt per lb or 1 gallon for every 8 lbs of grain. What do you have, about 12-13 lb grain for an IPA? I'd expect about 1.5 gallon loss. 6 gallons does sound like a fairly thin mash.

It sure didn't seem like much. Ill make sure this time. The recipe per beer smith calls for 25 qts water with a 13 lb grain bill. I get 19 qts at 1.5 per lb.

Ok. Ill go on that this time and see what happens. It'll be beer either way! Thanks guys. I know this stuff gets beat to death.

Back