A Couple Keggin Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcoldone

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to kegging and I just want to make sure I do this right. First off i was told to store it between 38-40 degrees. Also to have the pressure at 30 psi for 40 hrs. Is this the best method? Also I just did that tonight (Wednesday) and we are going out of town, so I was wondering if leaving it at that pressure for longer than 40 hrs will be ok? All help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

The temperature seems fine.

As for pressure (psi) setting.. there's basically two methods of doing it (and everyone on here swears by something different)
1) "quick force carb" (what you're doing now) - set the psi really high for a short period of time, then back it off to serving pressure. Easier to overpressurize your beer (and get foaming), but carbs the beer quickly within a day or 2.
2) "set and forget" - set the psi at your serving pressure, and leave it. Should be ready in a week or so. Easier to hit the desired pressure, but takes longer.

Personally, I use method #2. If you're going out of town, I would recommend you use method #2 as well, otherwise you'll come back to an overcarbed beer and a whole lot of foam when you tap it.

If you leave that at 38f for over 40 hours you will have a foam fest. I mean glass after glass of foam. Beer just isn't as tasty in foam form.:)

You can set your temp to whatever you like to drink at. Just be sure to set your psi to match the temp. (volumes of Co2) There is no such creature as "serving psi" it's the temp and volumes of Co2 that determine your psi.

40 PSI is pretty high if you are leaving it more than a couple days. you are liable to overcarb. How long are you planning on leaving it?

I was planning on leaving it at 30 psi for probably about 70 hrs. Sounds like I should maybe drop the pressure. Any suggestions on how I should leave it? I have had it under 30 psi for about 4 hrs already and by the time I leave it will be under 30 psi for about 18 hrs.

Just before you leave I would drop it to your volumes of Co2 psi. Check my sig for a good chart.

Back