A Controversial Question: What is the best crappy beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whaaaaaaaat? Sam Adams is hardly a "crappy beer." Yikes. And quite above the price range of 95% of the beers mentioned in this thread.

Sam Adams... a crappy... beer... oh my goodness...

Yeah, Sam Adams doesn't belong in this category at all. Without looking, I think Boston Lager is like an 87 on Beer Advocate. I might be wrong.

Coors Light. Like many Coors or Molson products they're dirt cheap here on the Army base. Actually most of the Europeans are cheap as well but I have OCD so if I'm going to get bottles they've got to be brown so I can use them without my eye twitching looking at a home brew stack.

When I go out and there's no craft brews, only BMC and cheap stuff, I just turn to other drinks (water, wine, juices...). I suddenly become the designated driver.

I don't like the taste, and I don't like encouraging them.

Keystone Lite for the simple fact they came up with the Keith Stone commercials.

I told my wife to stick with pants or shorts when the Capri pants first popped up. The insert in the last 30 of stones I bought said... "the Capri in Capri pants means you should have worn shorts"... Awesome.

Lucky Lager with the puzzles under the caps.

!!ll.jpg

I also would not put Shiner or Sam Adams in the crappy beer category. For mass market American beer, I would take regular Coors and maybe Miller. Next step up would be better readily available stuff like Shiner, some of the Mexican stuff like Pacifico, Carta Blanca and even Sol if you MUST have a painted clear bottle, an Candian like Lebatt blue or Molson Export. for the regular AB Inbev stuff from Belgium, I prefer Palm. Stella is okay.

I used to drink MGD (Miller Genuine Draft) almost exclusively... until I discovered real craft and homebrewed beers. Now MGD tastes like carb'd water to me.

I used to drink MGD (Miller Genuine Draft) almost exclusively... until I discovered real craft and homebrewed beers. Now MGD tastes like carb'd water to me.
The dirty little secret about MGD is that it is actually unpastuerized keg High Life. That may be one of the few times that a major brewer has actually engaged in completely truthful adverting. That makes me wonder what the difference is between MGD and the current High Life which supposedly went back to the old, better recipe. They may be the same beer now, but perhaps they kept the MGD brand because it had some brand loyalty. KEG Miller was always halfway decent cheap beer.

Although i dont drink ****ty beer often anymore, all local bars have jai alai on draft. I would go with coors light as the least ****ty "****ty" beer.

I think there are a lot of nine+ dollar six packs that guys have listed on here. I'm all about Pottsville's finest or will drink a Coors or BUD if you are shopping in the TV beer price range... but if a guy is talking about truly cheap beer I would have to go with either Busch or the Beast. The outside temperature could be a deciding factor. I would likely buy a handle of cheap vodka and a few packets of koolaid before I bought either... or just not drink, as horrible as that sounds.

At half the price of Bud, PBR gets my vote all day everyday.

If you're looking for cheap beer get cheap beer.

If I'm ever in a situation where my only choice is crappy beer, I've made an unforgivable tactical blunder.

I'd put Yeungling in that category. Anything below 70 on BA. Not sure if it is, but I'd imagine it's close.

78, the Bros give it 80. It seems a lot of people are putting any widely available lager into this "crappy beer" category. As far as I'm concerned Yeungling is a fine beer for what it is.

For a crappy beer on a hot day why not a 750ml can of fosters for only 2 bucks

If I'm ever in a situation where my only choice is crappy beer, I've made an unforgivable tactical blunder.

If I'm ever in a situation where my only choice is a crappy beer, I've made an unforgivable tactical blunder and I simply don't drink said crappy beer. There's nothing wrong with a soda.

78, the Bros give it 80. It seems a lot of people are putting any widely available lager into this "crappy beer" category. As far as I'm concerned Yeungling is a fine beer for what it is.

Well, that's what I get for not doing research and assuming things. I should have made parameters before posting. The point was supposed to be like BMC and worse, or something that is priced higher because of perception, but actually isn't very good like Corona and Heineken. I am surprised at how much response there has been, though. My other posts get like 3 responses and this one is almost at 70.

We're defining crappy based on Beer Advocate ratings then? I really like Heineken. I am a sucker for opinionated lists.

Some protest because Shiner Bock is listed in this crappy beer list, but I'll add Shiner to the list of crappy beers I drink. So that makes it, Dos Equis Lager Especial (the green bottle), Miller Lite, and Shiner Bock for me. Shiner is good enough to drink but not worth the hype and totally misses the mark. It's only a bock because they call it one, otherwise, there's no resemblance.

Haven't had PBR or shiner. My vote goes to Brava lager and anything Laker. Finest "buck a beer" I've found readily available in Ontario anyways.

Ratebeer has absolutely zero influence on me. I personally find Sculpin IPA to be merely average for the style yet it scores 100 there. It's OK but it's hardly the best. After that I knew that site was one I'd never take seriously again.

I'm from the Midwest and now live in MA but when I go back to MN I drink Premium like it's going out of style.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Coors light is my goto beer at a bar. I like PBR and Red's Strawberry Ale for cheap beer. In general I'm not very picky when I'm going cheap, anything is better than Bud or Bud Light

Back