a cider a cyser and a mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I'm planning on making these for a wedding in September and I could use some ideas, here is what I am thinking.

cider

5 gallons of pasteurized apple cider with ascorbic acid. I think I'm going to add frozen juice concentrate or maybe some honey to reach an O.G. of 1.060 or 1.070.

I think Im going with champagne yeast. I'm planning on using Potassium Sorbate at the end of fermentation and back sweetening with fresh apple juice and kegging. Here's what I'm not really sure of, should I use any yeast nutrient or maybe something to help with fermentation.

Here's the plan right now, re hydrating the champagne yeast with go-ferm. Adding 1/2 teaspoon DAP & 1/4 teaspoon fermaid-K prepitch, then again at 24, 48 & 72hrs. I'm thinking I will ferment at 62-65 for 2 weeks then 68-70 for 2 weeks, then rack to the keg adding 1-2 campden tabs and some Potassium Sorbate. after a couple of days adding some fresh juice to back sweeten.

cyser

4 gallons of the same cider with 8 - 10lbs of honey.
Yeast lalvin D47 DAP and fermaid-k added over the first 4 days of fermentation.

mead

18 lbs of honey 4 gallons of water and the same additions as the cyser.

I'm planning on bottling some of each as a wedding gift and serving some on tap at the bachelor party

I will probably edit this as I change my recipe, thanks for any help.

I heard ken schramm author of the complete mead maker say that fermentation should be complete in about 28 days if you use DAP and fermaid-K with multiple additions during fermentation. So I know the longer you can bulk age the better but I think I still can get this done in time.

Yooper's right, it's not the fermentation you have to worry about, it's the aging part. There's no real way around it, and anything with honey needs a looong time to mellow. Try to keep your fermentation temps level and as cool as the yeast will go so there's a nice clean ferment. That's not to say it will taste like crap in September, it's just that it'll be so much better in a year from now.

I plan on telling the bride and groom to hold on to the cyser/mead and have a bottle each year on their anniversary. I plan on serving the cider at the bachelor party.

That sounds like a good plan to me. It will all be drinkable in time if you start now, but each bottle they try each year will be better for sure.

Back