A/C unit, or mini fridge for temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmoo1302

Reaction score
hi, I have recently moved from SoCal to southern NH. I’m going to build 2 fermentasaurus ferm chamber from scratch in my basement. Which is more economical to use, a widow AC unit , or a mini fridge? Will have 1-2” insulation, and an ink bird controller. Thanks

Chest freezers are really cheap right now, it may be more economical to use a freezer instead of building a DIY fermentation chamber. You can cold crash easier with a chest freezer and if you get a good deal on produce or meat (or grow a big garden) you can suspend fermentation for a while and use the freezer as a freezer.
You can always sell the freezer if you don't need it anymore.
With regard to your original question, unless someone has done a side by side comparison and was able to measure the electricity used, who would know?

My problem is the interior size, my fermentasaurus is between 27.1”, to 30” not many affordable C\F of that depth, and 25 years of being a carhauler has destroyed my shoulders, so lifting a full conical is out of the question. Can I cool a dual chamber with a mini fridge?

You can always add a collar...and then either invest in a pump, or a pulley system to lift it out. I'm a big fan of using chest freezers for kegorators, fermentation chambers, etc. Very easy to work with and alter to fit your needs.

You can always add a collar...and then either invest in a pump, or a pulley system to lift it out. I'm a big fan of using chest freezers for kegorators, fermentation chambers, etc. Very easy to work with and alter to fit your needs.

This sounds good or if you want to go bigger i saw people make a affordable walk in cooler / insulated room and run a wall ac unit. not sure about the venting.

putting a pulley on a small track and using a carboy holder as a pulley harness works well.

Back