a/c down to 52degrees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmoo1302

Reaction score
hi all,
I have just finished my fermentation chamber sized to hold 2 6.5 gal carboys, and a5 gal secondary, 4" of rigid foam and a 5500 BTU window a/c unit. By using a temp controller how do I get the a/c to bring the temp down to 50deg. if the control on the a/c unit only goes to 62 deg.? Just finished a imp stout and going to need lower temp. soon. Please forgive if this seems like a neewbie? , cause that's what I is. Oh yeah, I live in san diego ,and the box is on my patio.
thanks

If you have an external temp controller you should be able to open up the a/c and bypass the internal thermostat, basically you need the temp controller directly wired to the compressor and maybe the fan. make sure the box is well insulated (using reflective insulation if the sun shines on it) otherwise the a/c might not be powerful enough to cool it. also make sure the external temp controller has the differential temp set so the compressor doesnt cycle on and off too often when the temp fluctuates slightly.

You need to find the thermostat sensor in the AC unit and somehow either bypass it or just get it outside of the ferm chamber so that it always reads a higher temp than its lowest set point. Then the temp controller probe will cycle power to the unit rather than the built-in thermostat. In my *limited* experience, most window-style ac units have a temp probe that you can pretty easily bend to accomplish your goal.

I'm in process of rigging up an AC too, Is it an old dial type or is it a digital type?

If it's and analog dial type you can take apart the control dial adjust the stop position to switch on and off at your desired temp.

If its a digital type you will need to figure out how to bypass the temp sensor and hook it up to a controller that is in the range you want it.

I still have not bought an AC for my fermentation room yet, so I have not done ether of what i have said yet, but from the research I've done those are two options to think about. But I might be picking one up today, so keep us updated on what you find.

I've converted several A/C units to glycol or room chillers. You need an external temp controller to get the temp you want. Wire a Ranco or Love controller to monitor the temp and control the compressor. Most stock thermostats will not ever go below 60*, after all , who wants to be sued for freezing some old person in their apartment!

You need to find the thermostat sensor in the AC unit and somehow either bypass it or just get it outside of the ferm chamber so that it always reads a higher temp than its lowest set point. Then the temp controller probe will cycle power to the unit rather than the built-in thermostat. In my *limited* experience, most window-style ac units have a temp probe that you can pretty easily bend to accomplish your goal.

+1. it was easy to find my AC's temp probe and bed it so it was on the hot side of the AC. It will run continuously now.

The downside is if you have it in an area where it gets cold during the winter. Mine is in my basement, which gets into the 50s in the winter. The AC would never turn on in that case.

The better method is to bypass the thermostat. It's pretty easy for analog units (I haven't messed with any digital units, it's probably just as easy), just open up the control panel, there will likely be two wires coming into the thermostat. Unplug them from the thermostat and splice them together. Voila! Your AC will run 24/7.

Also - take into consideration that you want the temperature of your WORT to be in the lager/ale ranges, not just the surrounding air. Fermenting wort will often be 8-10 degrees warmer than the surrounding air.

Back