A bunch of StarSan got in my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlreadyXDead

Reaction score
Hey there,
So I had my carboy sitting in my fridge overnight because im going to be bottling today. Wanted to cold crash and use some gelatin to clear it up.
I had a blow-off valve in a jug of starsan/water. The jug was fairly full maybe around 2-3 cups of water. I opened my fridge to see a cloudy layer at the top of my beer, and the jug almost empty. The blow off tube was full of water as well. So all the water got backed up into my brew. Now i understand StarSan is pretty safe as its used to sanitize, but will this much backed up in my beer cause me issues? Off flavors? Kind of upset, about this hoping someone can clear some things up.

Yeah, I'm in agreement with the poster above. If it's a 5g+ batch then 2-3 cups of starsan mix isn't going to pose any problems.. I probably leave +\- cup of the stuff in every bucket/carboy i use. Given that I secondary (unlike many here). That's about 2 cups give or take that gets mixed into the beer. Have had no noticeable off flavors or lack of flavor due to dilution in any of my beers and get only rave reviews from friends and family who drink them. So I wouldn't worry about it, and just make sure the starsan mixture for blowoff sits below your bucket/carboy so that it won't siphon into the beer.

This makes me feel alot better. It wasn't a ton of starSan, probably not even a 1/2 ounce. Just made me nervous when i saw all that ended up in my beer. Thanks guys.

I drank a shot of properly diluted starsan once. Very faint citrus flavor, like a really dilute lemonade, perhaps. You'll never notice it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I feel your pain - I've forgotten to pull out the blow off tube a couple of times before cold crashing. Now I have written a reminder on my fermentation chamber to remind me :) Beer tasted ok, by the way.

same thing just happened to me. racked a room temp beer to secondary, chilled to around 68, and a cup of starsan sucked right up the blowoff into the carboy. funny thing though, the beer was a pale w/ an SRM around 5. now it looks like srm 15. haha!~ i hope this isnt ruined.

It shouldn't do anything..What size batch, 5G? If 5G then there shouldn't be any noticeable off flavors, but YOU might taste it since you know it is in there..

Latest posts

Back