A Box for your stuff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownyard

Reaction score
Show me how you organize your small pieces of equipment... keg fittings, etc...

Last edited:
I must never ever ever be without mushrooms, so when I don't have a couple paper bags of fresh local ones from the local market, I pick up the ones from the grocery store and find the tubs infinitely usable for many storage needs.
IMG_1347.jpg

...oh...those are out cause I was building stuff.. they usually fit nicely in my 'Brew-Stuff' pantry cabinet.

I must never ever ever be without mushrooms, so when I don't have a couple paper bags of fresh local ones from the local market, I pick up the ones from the grocery store and find the tubs infinitely usable for many storage needs.
View attachment 775072
...oh...those are out cause I was building stuff.. they usually fit nicely in my 'Brew-Stuff' pantry cabinet.

off topic but i gotta know is that a slide viewer at the top?

No.. just a printer...the slide viewers and movie projectors are out in my garage.... too costly to use much these days. ;)

so it's a shoe box? and you just gave me an idea for a new game like name that skyline, where you try and identify curious objects!

so it's a shoe box? and you just gave me an idea for a new game like name that skyline, where you try and identify curious objects!

I was on a motorcycle forum for a while. They had exactly that game with tools. Very open interpretation, as wide as skyline. Tools very specific to a field, vintage tools or objects, household tools, barn fixtures, industrial machines. Fun thread.

Here's the cabinet, BUT: there's supposed to be another shelf in it and a lot more empty space because the empty spaces are where the bits all over my bench came from as, owing to disability, it takes me a long time to do anything, but those bins all fit nicely in the cabinet alongside the cookie tins that have bags of DME, Dextrose, etc in them.
IMG_1348.jpg

(...and just so @bracconiere can have a better look at what's on my printer)
Here's the bits that belong in there. (Until I finish building and installing them anyway :p )
IMG_1349.jpg

Right now, most of my stuff is sorted in Amazon envelopes in a cardboard beer case box. I looked at tackle boxes, but too many small compartments.

That’s pretty similar to the one I use. I think this is it.
Sterilite Plastic 5 Drawer Wide Tower Black
Robot or human?
Mine is a little disheveled right now. Each drawer contains pieces/ parts for different stages of the brew cycle.
1.Testing equipment (thermometers, hydrometers and hydrometer cylinders, etc.)
2. Keg parts
3. Fermenter and fermentation (airlocks, bungs, transfer tubing, etc.)
4. Brew day and boiling supplies (BIAB bags, hop bags, spoons, etc.)
5. Bottling equipment, caps, cappers, misc. junk)
C4189200-DA52-4CBB-9440-851FCCE1DB6C.jpeg

I've started using take-out tubs from Thai restaurants for all the bits associated with kegging -- but some is still in various cardboard boxes. Also, a three-drawer plastic unit at the sink for smaller brew-day parts. Bigger stuff goes in a ceiling-height wall cabinet; vessels & pump sit on the brew table.
tubs.jpg
drawers.jpg

I have about 5 “sections” of these types of units from Ikea all screwed together. They used to be called Sten and those are the units I have. These are a different name with the same idea. You buy the unit and as many extra shelves as you need and you can put them together in any configuration you want.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/hejne-shelf-unit-softwood-s79031414/
I have something that looks pretty much like this:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/hejne-3-section-shelving-unit-softwood-s99031408/
Even with 5 of these (3 shown in the picture) my brew storage area is still cluttered and a mess. I do the best I can to have little parts in small boxes, etc. I just have so much it all doesn’t fit in the shelves and stuff is still piled on the floor in front of the shelves.

Last edited:
I have whatever was free: a 2-drawer filing cabinet for some of the large stuff, a wire shelving unit for grain and towels and stuff, a shelf for little things always in use, a tub for some biggest stuff, a bucket for the long items. Some things just sit out next to the kettles 24/7 waiting to be used, as I am ever hopeful that today, TODAY, will be a brewday.

I have 2 clear storage bins, one labeled "Brewing" and the other "Kegging". Most of my keg parts are in the original zip lock baggies they were shipped in, but placed in one gallon zip lock bags by function. Basically keg parts in one, kegerator parts in another, lube and misc parts in another.

I brew in my garage, keg in my basement, and clean fermenters and kegs in the kitchen. Having everything in storage bins makes it easy to move my gear around the house in a single trip.

I have 2 clear storage bins, one labeled "Brewing" and the other "Kegging". Most of my keg parts are in the original zip lock baggies they were shipped in, but placed in one gallon zip lock bags by function. Basically keg parts in one, kegerator parts in another, lube and misc parts in another.

I brew in my garage, keg in my basement, and clean fermenters and kegs in the kitchen. Having everything in storage bins makes it easy to move my gear around the house in a single trip.
Seriously, pretty much this exactly, and as my knees get older (I was born before the Earth's crust cooled) schlepping isht up from the basement to the kitchen or garage is getting hella-old.

That’s pretty similar to the one I use. I think this is it.

I am also using a few small plastic drawer units. I might have purchased one of them specifically for brewing storage, but I think they were just repurposed from prior kids storage needs. I find that keeping like items in small ziploc bags helps to keep the contents somewhat organized.

IMG_4095.JPG

I have a storage closet in my lair that doubles as a roasting room. Most everything is stacked on shelving but I have a few of the same plastic drawer bins as other people for smaller stuff.

Ughh, so I feel like bins for little doodads are like sheds for yard tools. You get one you think at the time is more then large enough for your stuff and a year later your like well crap I need a bigger shed. Then you multiply that by the fact that your brewing hobby/obsession/addiction has gotten out of hand and now the basement has 6 big bins for grains, 4 medium bins for doodads and an old dresser for small odds and ends and somehow the basement turned brewery still isn't organized to your liking.. I even built large metal shelves down there.. it's getting close but bottom line is I need a bigger basement... and yes I need a bigger shed too. 😔

Ughh, so I feel like bins for little doodads are like sheds for yard tools. You get one you think at the time is more then large enough for your stuff and a year later your like well crap I need a bigger shed. Then you multiply that by the fact that your brewing hobby/obsession/addiction has gotten out of hand and now the basement has 6 big bins for grains, 4 medium bins for doodads and an old dresser for small odds and ends and somehow the basement turned brewery still isn't organized to your liking.. I even built large metal shelves down there.. it's getting close but bottom line is I need a bigger basement... and yes I need a bigger shed too. 😔
Personally, I've just kept moving to ever larger spaces over the years to accomodate the many projects I've lived for....still don't have the 8 acres I wanted to 'retire' on though. ;)

I have 12 acres, mow 6 of them, with trees and hills on the side of a mountain in the middle of nowhere. So lots of yard tools, and why I need a bigger shed. As for my basement, it is actually a pretty small space, only under half the house, the rest is on a slab and some of a crawlspace. I really need to build a detached garage, that would solve a lot of my space issues Haha. Someday. Probably around 'retirement'.

Back