8 year old mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Action

Reaction score
So was cleaning up the other day and ran across a corny keg full of mead I brewed about 8 years ago (That is what the tag says). You think it is still good ? It has been in the garage and maybe a max temp of 85. I will open it up soon, was just wondering what everyone thought.
Jack

Dude, I'd love to have a few bottles. PM me and I'll give you my address...
cheers
I'm sure it'll be more than great.

as soon as I get some bottles to transfer it to I will open it.....Pretty sure I can't drink 5 gal in 1 sitting ?
Jack

I still have bottles (straight mead, Papazian's Barkshack Ginger mead) I made over 20 years ago. They're still good. Yours should be also. Fingers crossed...

Anyone remember that Leap Year Vanilla mead project from over 2 Leap Years ago (2008?)? I think I still have about 6 bottles of it left.

I’m very interested in brewing mead, how long should the fermentation be? And is it better to let it age in a keg or a oak barrel?

My first mead brew was about two years ago.
At the time, I didn't know my butt from a hydrometer and the ABV ended up way beyond my alcohol tolerance. The wife has a use for it, though. She marinates and sears shrimp with it in lieu of cooking wines or sherry.

I’m very interested in brewing mead, how long should the fermentation be? And is it better to let it age in a keg or a oak barrel?

This depends on your desired alcohol levels and personal tastes. "Session meads" can be done more quickly if the proper method and steps are followed.
You can generally predict a longer fermentation and aging time for mead when the alcohol content is higher because it is much like a wine as compared to lower ABV beers. At the same time, higher gravity, higher ABV beers will also require a bit longer fermentation and aging. Once you go above 8-10% ABV, the storage and preservation of wines is superior and if you desire to age it in a cask or barrel, that option is available.

So ... how patient are you? I'm not that patient, so I tend to brew more ales than meads.

This depends on your desired alcohol levels and personal tastes. "Session meads" can be done more quickly if the proper method and steps are followed.
You can generally predict a longer fermentation and aging time for mead when the alcohol content is higher because it is much like a wine as compared to lower ABV beers. At the same time, higher gravity, higher ABV beers will also require a bit longer fermentation and aging. Once you go above 8-10% ABV, the storage and preservation of wines is superior and if you desire to age it in a cask or barrel, that option is available.

So ... how patient are you? I'm not that patient, so I tend to brew more ales than meads.
Thanks so much for the reply.
I’m not very patient either lol but if it’s better to age it after the fermentation then I can try to be.

SWMBO and I drank our last bottle of a mead I put up 7 years ago (my first). It was even more delicious than the last time I recall having it, some 3 years ago. I recollect it being VERY HOT the first year at 14%. It mellowed quite nicely. I have a Cyser in primary currently - i think we may stop it a little early and back sweeten it for this falls Hallows Eve party.

I have a carboy of mead I mixed up January 2017(no boil, no pasteurize). I haven't gotten around to bottling yet. OG was 1.14 and it's been at 1.004 for close to a year. It tastes like a good chardonnay. I imagine it will taste great for years to come.

I have a carboy of mead I mixed up January 2017(no boil, no pasteurize). I haven't gotten around to bottling yet. OG was 1.14 and it's been at 1.004 for close to a year. It tastes like a good chardonnay. I imagine it will taste great for years to come.

LOL! I just found (not that it was lost) a Pear Mead (still in the primary (carboy)) that I made in Oct 2014.

Sample is fruity and flavorful, although pears don't have a distinct flavor. Very clear (bentonite added sometime last year) with a dry (not puckering) finish.

Maybe it's time I should bottle it?

Now, I'm thinking a Fruit Cocktail (in HEAVY syrup) Mead...hmmm.

Latest posts

Back