8 days too long dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
I'm trying to time a dry hop addition to the beer I brewed yesterday. I will be heading out of town in 6 days for a week. This means I can dry hop on day 7 and leave it in there for 8 days, then rack to a keg when I get back OR come back in town then dry hop for the normal 5-6 days. If I do the second option it will have sat for 14-15 days before dry hopping though. Anything wrong with going the first route or is day 6-7 too early to dry hop and is 7-8 days too long of a dry hop?

In a word, no. Seriously, you can dry hop for as long or as little time as you need to. IPA gets its name from India Pale Ale -- they would ship ale on long voyages with lots of hops in them to preserve the ale... much longer than 14-15 days. You will use all of the goodness out of them but they won't hurt anything.

Either will work.
Toss half in now and when you get back toss the other half in for 5 days.

Play around with your dry hop schedule you may find you really like something different.

i dryhopped 3oz into an IPA for about 8 days and then cold crashed for about a week planned but then I couldnt get to it and it sat in cold temps for an extra 2wks. Nothing grassy just hoppy aroma goodness.
I dont think there is a right answer for "too long to dry hop" but a week or two isnt going to be terrible. I assume most folks are worried about a grassiness if left too long at a warmer temp.
Ive always poured my IPAs and wished i wouldve dryhopped them longer!!

All good advice thanks. Maybe I'll just let it sit in primary for the 15 days, then when I return transfer to the keg and dry hop in there while it carbonates and cold crashes in my keezer.

My typical DH is 7 days. When I brew Pliney or some over IIPAs, I do a split DH up to 14 days. You will be just fine with 8 days.

All good advice thanks. Maybe I'll just let it sit in primary for the 15 days, then when I return transfer to the keg and dry hop in there while it carbonates and cold crashes in my keezer.

I would absolutely do it this way. I always leave mine to ferment for 2 weeks just to let it clear out and let the yeast clean up. Keg hopping is a great way to go. There's no where else for the aroma and flavor to go than in your glass.

I'm pretty new to kegging so this would be my first keg dry hop. If I dry hop in a 1 gallon paint strainer bag in the keg, do I have to worry about anything clogging or beer clarity in my finished product?

I'm pretty new to kegging so this would be my first keg dry hop. If I dry hop in a 1 gallon paint strainer bag in the keg, do I have to worry about anything clogging or beer clarity in my finished product?

No, As long as it is suspended above the dip tube some. Once caviat to dryhopping in the keg (if the keg is cold only) is lower/longer extraction times from the oils. If you DH at room temp then chill/serve, you should be good.

I guess I am on the other end of the spectrum here than you guys. I personally have found them to start picking up some grassyness (is that a word?) if I leave the hops in the secondary too long. I go 5 days MAX myself on anything I am going to dry hop. I am sure some hops will set off a grassyness (still don't think that's a word :) ) profile more than others but once its there..You are not getting rid of it. IMHO...

Good luck

Cheers
Jay

Due to some mistakes I just made my first batch of beer and the hops were in there 2-3 weeks (I used few different containers to experiment). Nothing I would call grassy. Just one experience so take it with a massive grain of salt.

The "IPAs had more hops to survive the long voyage" thing is a myth - breweries were successfully shipping much lower-hopped beers (specifically, porter) along the same route long before the IPA was invented. Also, the hops they added were during the boil, not dry hopping (i.e., they didn't remove the dry hops from the barrels upon arrival, prior to serving).

I usually dry hop 5-7 days. Most literature I've read suggests that dry hopping efficacy maxes out after 3-5 days anyway (meaning all the essence that's going to be infused has been infused). However, in cases where I've dry-hopped too long and gotten a little bit of the "grassiness" mentioned in this thread, it's aged out fairly quickly (a week or so) and evolved back into pure, hoppy goodness. I've never had "grassiness" persist in any of my beers. Even if you get it, it'll go away.

Latest posts

Back