75 ibu's from Saaz only?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaj030201

Reaction score
Is it possible to get an actual 75 ibu's from such a low alpha hop like Saaz? Will 7oz of Saaz be a waste, or can a 5 gallon IIPA be brewed with Saaz only?

That's about the IBU's I get brewing Brutal Bitter Clone with Crystal hops which are similar to Saaz. I use 8 oz in 5+ gallon or 1lb in 10 gallon batch.

I could be wrong but you might want to increase your boil volume to account for wort lost due to the large amount of hop matter.

Eric

thanks sam and eric!
just wanted to make sure i wasnt wasting my $$

You can do it, but when you boil with that high of a volume of hops, you may get some vegetal character that would be less than desirable.

If it were me, I might consider choosing a more "economical" route with a higher Alpha hop for bittering, and let a nice chunk of Saaz sit as finishing/dry hopping.

You could go the route of sterling like Mirimoto Imperial Pilsner at 75 IBUs. Similar character to saaz with a higher alpha acid, if you are worried about a vegetable character coming out.

Back