7.2 cu ft keezer advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smittygouv30

Reaction score
So i just ordered a black 7.2 cu ft frigidaire chest freezer. My idea is to build a collar which will hold the 4 spouts but I would also like to finish the top with tile or a material similar. I have searched this forum high and low and it seems that this very uncommon. If people finish the top they seem to go for the coffin keezer look with the spouts coming from a wooden case/shelf or the cylindrical tube. Is this preference alone or is there another reason for this? I also see that many people ditch the original lid to the freezer and build there own lid. My questions are... Why do people ditch the lid if you can just lay plywood on top? Is there a reason, besides preference, people don't finish the top of the keezer and use the collar for the spouts? Is it perhaps the due to adherence issues, or space limitations as the tap handles are encroached by the tops layover? Any info will be helpful. Thanks!

The reason for not finishing the top on a collar keezer is that it's just not necessary and there's not really a good way to make it look good doing just that. You're perfectly entitled to build how you'd like, though.

I'm opting for the coffin because I want to enclose mine and make a nice furniture-grade piece that will look good in my house. I don't want people to see a chest freezer, I want people to see a nice wood bar topped in slab granite, with my taps on a well constructed coffin. As I said, though, you're perfectly entitled to construct your however you like as there's no real functional reason to not finish the top with a collar keezer.

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that there is no functional reason that more people don't do it. This way. It is my personal opinion that it can still look really sharp. Here are a few examples I've found.

image-979461943.jpg

image-381325927.jpg

image-258882569.jpg

Back