7.2 Cu ft Hisense keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff62217

Reaction score
Wanted to share a project inspired by reading many posts around here and being envious of those with more than two taps..

With a single tap kegerator that was 12+ years old and struggling to keep a couple cornies cold during triple digit summers, I figured this upgrade should be before my brewing equipment.

When I priced ~ 7 cu ft chest freezers the best prices I was coming up with was best buy (Insignia) for $169 on sale.

One day at Costco I noticed a chest freezer and saw it was $149 + tax for a 7.2 cu ft.

So after buying the freezer and measuring and taking off the lid, I took measurements and had some pine 2x6s cut to fit.

Having no woodworking experience this job was a little intimidating, but being an auto mechanic by trade.. I'm sometimes in uncharted territory.

I got most of this done during a week without 9-5 work, which really let me focus on the important aspects of this project.

I'm mostly posting this as a thank you to everyone's threads I took inspiration from, which are too many to list. Without all that there's no way I would've had the confidence to attempt this.

Thanks HBT for everything, I hope this is giving back in some way.

Attachments

• keezer1.JPG
    keezer1.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 771
  • keezer2.JPG
    keezer2.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 851
  • keezer3.JPG
    keezer3.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 842
  • keezer4.JPG
    keezer4.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 851
Any questions I'd be more than happy to answer. This project was mainly focused on functionality, not so much on the overall appearance of the finished product, although some attempt was made.

Attachments

• keezer5.JPG
    keezer5.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 791
  • keezer6.JPG
    keezer6.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 778
  • keezer7.JPG
    keezer7.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 763
  • keezer8.JPG
    keezer8.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 758
although the #3 pic shows 4 ball lock kegs plus a converted pin lock, with manifold and lines plus storage the 5th keg might not be practical. Might be possible at times when hop storage is low.

Also I understand now why some do the taps so close together on one side.. One of my 4 is right in the way of a keg and might cause problems when everything is full.

One word of advice when you're planning your tap placement.. Think in advance, think of everything before you drill!

Attachments

• keezer9.JPG
    keezer9.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 683
  • keezer10.JPG
    keezer10.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 684
  • keezer11.JPG
    keezer11.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 765
  • keezer12.JPG
    keezer12.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 691
Finished product. Putting the lid hinges on was the most stressful because it is a major sealing point.

Line everything up and mark it ahead of time and no sweat.

Attachments

• keezer13.JPG
    keezer13.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 745
  • keezer14.JPG
    keezer14.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 740
  • keezer16.JPG
    keezer16.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 760
  • keezer18.JPG
    keezer18.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 772
Man this is an inspiring thread! I've been shopping around for the best price and the right size freezer, now I'm looking to build exactly the same setup as yours! What type of lumber did you use and how thick is the pink foam board? Looks like your combination lines up perfectly with the freezer wall thickness.

I'll have to space my build out over a period of time to stay within budget; my plan is to start with the freezer and collar, pick up two kegs and get lagering, then at first just install one tap and expand that to three over time, leaving the fourth keg spot as a carbing/storage keg. Is there any reason that plan might not make sense?

Man this is an inspiring thread! I've been shopping around for the best price and the right size freezer, now I'm looking to build exactly the same setup as yours! What type of lumber did you use and how thick is the pink foam board? Looks like your combination lines up perfectly with the freezer wall thickness.

I'll have to space my build out over a period of time to stay within budget; my plan is to start with the freezer and collar, pick up two kegs and get lagering, then at first just install one tap and expand that to three over time, leaving the fourth keg spot as a carbing/storage keg. Is there any reason that plan might not make sense?

I used pine because I wasn't sure if I was going to get it right the first time, and I didn't want to use a more costly wood. The pink foam insulation is 1" thick. I used some D-shaped weatherstripping under the collar at the base of the freezer, then used aluminum tape to seal all the gaps and provide a good surface for the lid gasket. I can feel a light suction when opening the lid so I'm pretty sure it's all sealed up.

Your plan sounds good, I'd be doing the same if I hadn't been saving up for this over a year or so. I definitely spent more than expected (damn perlicks ain't cheap) but I'm happy with the results

This is perfect! I was eyeing that exact freezer at Costco this weekend and wondering how things would fit, and if I could do the exact 4 keg setup you have with your build! Good to know it works beautifully. Now to start the saving/build planning! Thanks jeff!

This is perfect! I was eyeing that exact freezer at Costco this weekend and wondering how things would fit, and if I could do the exact 4 keg setup you have with your build! Good to know it works beautifully. Now to start the saving/build planning! Thanks jeff!
How much was it at costco? Might be yet another reason to renew my membership, but only if the price is good.

Glad to help in any way possible. Good luck on your build!

Bought one today. I stabbed through a coolant line last night whilst chipping ice out of my old kegerator, so it's time to build a new one.

I picked one up yesterday, and now am awaiting the hardware so I can start building this thing! If only it wasn't 1 degree outside so I could work on this in the garage.

Really proud of you for being a mechanic and a resourceful home brewer! A little bit jealous too, my own keezer project is stalled until funds come in.

This might be a dumb question, but is there anything securing the collar to the freezer?

Also, the spec sheet for the freezer says the temp range is 48F - -9F, so curious if you need the temp controller?

https://www.hisense-usa.com/sites/default/files/support-doc/Create Product support page/FC72D6BWE.PDF

I just used some liquid nails type stuff I got a Menards to basically glue my collar and seal it down. I've also seen others on this forum let the weight of the lid and collar keep it in place and use some weather stripping to seal the air gap and keep it cool.

Here's my build of the keezer using this very chest freezer!

Built up the collar. Did a 2x6 size for the wood, and used some L brackets to keep it all together including some wood glue in all the joints, then used some caulk to seal up all the joints as well.

xCr7fDm.jpg

Sanded and stained the collar (using some left over stain we already had from refinishing a table I had inherited from my grandmother!), and then sealed and glued down to the freezer with the weight on top to keep it secure.

tJbUhZu.jpg

Need to work on my hose management, but 4 ball lock kegs fit beautifully in there, with 3 that will be for beer, and the 4th for root beer/soda water for the family!

b6S9geW.jpg

The finished product! I'm very happy with it! Now to track down a gas leak (which I suspect is the due to an old o-ring on the used kegs. I knew I should have replaced those!)

Tvjx22d.jpg

I highly reccomend this freezer for builds. Gets you 4 kegs easy, and the price knocks out similarly sized ones from Home Depot or Best Buy!

Latest posts

Back