6th batch Grapefruit IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevem86

Reaction score
I just brewed my 6th batch today!
Each batch I have brewed has been slightly more involved than the last.
My first was a straight extract American Wheat.
#2 was an Irish Red with steeping grains
#3 was a brown Ale with steeping grains (first non-kit brew)
#4 was a DFH 60 minute IPA clone (very labor intensive with the hop additions) also my first dry-hopped beer
#5 was an Imperial cream ale (orange zest and vanilla extract added to the secondary)
#6 which I just finished brewing was a Jamils evil twin IPA but I adjusted it and decided to add grapefruit peel to the boil.

My thought process is:
Improve my basic processes and increase the "difficulty level" until I feel I am ready to switch to all-grain.

Who else has done this?

Also, what do y'all think about a grapefruit IPA?

Widmer bros does a grapefruit IPA - not sure if it's a special one off thing, but it was really good.
Good luck!

I never heard about it but it seems really, really nice! I just wonder if the beer will be very acidic with this kind of peel added. Could you add the recipe in here?

My first 2 brews were kits, then switched to mini-mash for the 3 after then went to all grain! Much more fun. You have to try it to make mistakes and learn. My first AG was fine even with the ridiculous mistakes ive made. Good memories

Recipe:

.75 lbs Briess Caramel 40
.375 Briess Caramel 120
.25 lbs Pale Chocalate

Steep for 20 minutes at 155-160

7 lbs Extra light dry malt extract

.25 oz Columbus at 60 minutes
.5 oz Columbus at 20 minutes
Peel from 2 medium grapefruit at 15 minutes
1 oz cascade hops at 10 minutes
1 oz Centennial hops at 10 minutes
1 oz Cascade at flame out
1 oz Centennial at flame out

Yeast: WLP 001

Adding fewer hops would have decreased the bitterness but I figured, what the heck, I'll go with it.
But the grapefruit really added some aroma to the brew.
I can't wait for this brew to be done.

If you're just adding zest, it won't add any bitterness. Just deliciousness and aroma.
Damn, now I want to brew a grapefruit IPA!:D

2 weeks has passed and I took a gravity reading/ sample tasting today.
Gravity reads 1.011 and with a starting gravity of 1.062 that give me an approximate ABV of 6.69.

As far as tasting goes:
Lots of hop flavor (as is expected in an IPA)
Grapefruit flavor and aroma are definitely there
Slightly dry taste to it
Still a little cloudy

I plan to let it sit for at least another 2-4 weeks (depending on when I kick one of the kegs in my fridge) to clear up and settle a little.

As it sits right now, I think this will be a good beer. Will update again once it is kegged and chilled

Completely Grapefruit IPA? If you want to get get big, citrus, floral, and pine, use Citra, Simcoe, US Goldings, and Amarillo for your dry hops. I just brewed a BIPA with an initial IBU of 91.5, and then 1/2 oz each of Citra, Simcoe, US Goldings, and Amarillo, for a 7 day dry hop

I'm not sure what you mean by "completely grapefruit."
I added grapefruit to the boil and depending on the aroma when I go to keg it, I may dry hop it with some hops with big grapefruit flavors or maybe just add some more grapefruit peel and put it in the secondary for a few days.

I guess what I meant was just grapefruit, in rind as well as grapefruit with hops having grapefruit/ citrus aroma.

@Stevem86 - how's it drinking? I've got the itch so I'm eager to hear how you like it.

It is still in the fermenter. Probably for another week or 2.
The samples that I have had are great!
Good grapefruit aroma and flavor without overpowering it.
Will update again when kegged.

Finally! Kegged, carbonated, and cold

It is pretty good! The grapefruit really shows through in the flavor and the aroma.
Slight bitterness (it is an IPA after all)
Refreshing
Definitely a brew I will do again.

I am currently enjoying this while brewing my 7th batch, a hefeweizen.

Latest posts

Back