60 minute hop boils and flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal simmons

Reaction score
Brewing an Imperial IPA this weekend and the LHBS was all sold out of high-alpha hops and the highest alpha they had was 9%. In trying to figure out what I was going to do, I realized I have 4 ounces of Norther Brewer (6.5%) in the fridge that I didn't end up needing a few batches ago.

The flavor profile from NB doesn't really fit what i'm going for, but does it even matter if i'm boiling them for 60 minutes? Can I throw in 3 oz of the NB at 60 minutes to accomplish most of my bittering, and then use my Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial for flavor and aroma as planned? Will I get any flavor from the NB?

You won't get much flavor from the NB at 60 minutes. It's commonly used in ESBs & bitters where you don't want anything except the bittering components.

It will work perfect for your bittering. And it will let you really go late addition heavy - which IMO is what an IPA really shines for, flavor and aroma.

Latest posts

Back