60 degrees is an odd temp. Recipe Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RussPDX

Reaction score
So it appears that aside from California Lager 2112 a 60 degree fermentation temperature is a bit warm for lagers and a bit cold for ales..... So what should I brew this weekend? I am thinking about the Black Bird Baltic Porter on the Maltose Falcons website, but would be open to other suggestions.

I was thinking about a Doppelbock, but the strains recommended all call for 50 degrees. Just put my last (and first) lagers on tap and have more room, but the temp in the basement has warmed up to 60-62 degrees.

Open to all ideas and THANKS!

Notty is amazing at 60. Fast and clean, sometimes there is a hint of fruityness. I switch to it every winter, it closely mimics 05 done in the mid-to-high 60s. It flocs better IMO. I got down to 57 this winter. I do suggest wrapping a towel around it at high krausen though to ensure it finishes correctly.

I concur with Calichusetts on the use of Nottingham. I have had Nottingham ferment down to 54. US05 will also ferment at 60, easily. For low temps, I prefer the Nottingham, if using dry yeast. If you opt for liquid yeast, Pacman, Wyeast 1056, WLP001 and any number of other ale yeast will not have a problem either.

I have been using Pacman a lot lately, it chews through sugars and is clean.

If you're looking for a yeast that will give you a maltier beer, 1728 is also a pretty good strain to ferment at 60 (or even colder). It's also a clean fermenter at that temp.

I'd have to look it up to make sure, but I think the Wyeast kolsch (2565) and altbier (1007) strains are usually fermented around 60 before cold conditioning.

Any of the hybrid strains would work well, WLP862 Cry-Havoc yeast is my favorite of these. WLP810 San Fran Lager yeast is another good option.

Mangrove Jacks m44 yeast works great down to 54F supposedly. I've personally fermented as low as 60 with it with great results.

Btw if you pith the yeast around 64-66 and store it at 60-62 your actual fermentation temp will probably be 65-70. Fermenting wort raises the temp.

Back