6 Gallon Better Bottle Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schooldude

Reaction score
Hey all, I tried to order a 6 gal better bottle carboy to use as a secondary. Ordered yesterday and received an email saying "sorry better bottles are no longer being made". Does anyone know why and are they safe if I get a used one.

Thanks

There was something posted somewhere a while back about manufacturing issues, but I thought it was a temporary issue.

I heard something about there having been a fire at the manufacturer's facility last year and they are rebuilding. I don't think it has anything to do with safety of the product. My LHBS has been out of BBs for some time now.

Search around on the Internet, maybe someone has a few left in stock.

No reason why a used one would be problematic. But if you're looking for a PET carboy there are a ton of other options available besides Better Bottle.

Thanks for all the info. I live in western Ky and not a local shop for a couple hundred miles. Thus I rely in online buys.

thanks again

I use glass carboys but have an under the counter fridge I converted into a lagerator. It's a small fridge and I can't fit an airlock on my 6.5 gal carboy when it's upright.

Any idea where I can find PET or some such 6.5 gallon "shorty" carboy? It's ok if it's fatter, just needs to be 6" shorter so I can fit my airlock in there.

Thanks,

BannonB

I just spoke w/ the very nice folks at Better Bottle. They have been in the process of setting up a new manufacturing system & location.
This has been a challenging process. They require tight tolerances and it has taken more time than planned to get product consistency.
They now hope to begin manufacturing next week & to begin the process of restocking distributors.
I've used BB's since I began brewing 4+ years ago. I'm well stocked but for those in need it will be worth the wait.

There was a similar thread on this forum a while back. Someone said that the key piece of equipment used to extrude these containers was destroyed in a flood. Better Bottle has been scrambling to replace that equipment or manufacturer.

You would think there would be some info on their website.

I just spoke w/ the very nice folks at Better Bottle. They have been in the process of setting up a new manufacturing system & location.
This has been a challenging process. They require tight tolerances and it has taken more time than planned to get product consistency.
They now hope to begin manufacturing next week & to begin the process of restocking distributors.
I've used BB's since I began brewing 4+ years ago. I'm well stocked but for those in need it will be worth the wait.

Good to hear, I picked up a Vintage Shop PET 6 gallon in the meantime.

I could use a 5 gallon one for secondarying myself. The 6 gallon is a bit worrisome.

Why is the 6 gallon one worrisome? I have 4 of the 6 gallon ones and one 5 gallon. I prefer the 6 gallon ones over my buckets. Use a blow off tube - no worries. The 5 gallon one rarely gets used anymore....

Because I use it-albeit rarely-as a secondary. A bit too much head space for safety, but it works. So a 5 gallon would be better for what I typically use it for.

Because I use it-albeit rarely-as a secondary. A bit too much head space for safety, but it works. So a 5 gallon would be better for what I typically use it for.

That makes sense. When using for a secondary a 5 gallon would be better. You would want to brew a 6 gallon batch to use the 6 gallon Better Bottle as a secondary.

I actually do brew a 6 gallon batch occasionally, like the Cooper's English bitter, an " ordinary bitter". I might eventually use it as a 3rd fermenter for a 5 gallon batch with a blow off.

Good to hear and thanks for the update. I'm brewing a lot of small batches now and have been waiting to pick up a couple more of the 3 gals.

I also need a 1 1/2 or 2 gallon bucket right soon for my malt vinegar brew when the English bitter finishes fermenting. No go at Giant Eagle. Maybe lowe's or Home Depot?

Have you seen the new BrewDemon PET conicals? Available in 2.5 & 6 gal versions. Just finished my first brew in one, hard cider, and if you like to harvest yeast, it leaves a great little pudding shaped clump after racking the beverage. Well not racking, just pouring out of the tap into the keg and/or bottles

I could use a 5 gallon one for secondarying myself. The 6 gallon is a bit worrisome.

I brew 6g batches and put a little over 3g in each of two 5 or 6 gal BB's the I secondary/dry hop in 3 gal BB's. This also let's me use two different yeasts on the same batch if I want.
I pkg in 3 gal kegs.

For the 6 gallon batches, I have my older Cooper's micro Brew FV. It's made for 23L, or 6.015 USG. It leaves some 3-4L headspace or so. The 6 gallon BB will be put to use soon, as my son's bring over some devil's tongue peppers he grew that finally ripened. He wants a wit to put'em in. As long as he's buyin', I'll brew up whatever he wants...for a few bottles.

I also need a 1 1/2 or 2 gallon bucket right soon for my malt vinegar brew when the English bitter finishes fermenting. No go at Giant Eagle. Maybe lowe's or Home Depot?

I was just at Home Depot picking up a 5 gallon HDPE bucket and noticed they also sold 2 gallon HDPE buckets for cheap (like a buck or two). I also noticed that they sold lids for their 5 gallon HDPE buckets that had a grommet - those things would probably seal really well and work great for 3.5 - 4 gallon batches.

I looked at HD on-line for the Elyria location, & they didn't have any food-safe 2G buckets. Just the paint ones that aren't food-safe. Lowe's has them in HDPE, so all I need now is a ride over there to get it. And a fine mesh paint filter to stretch over the top so the air can get to it while making vinegar.

Back