6# DME and Dextrose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopcop

Reaction score
I've been all grain for years now and I started out as an extract brewer. I realized that I have 6# Golden Light DME and 3# dextrose laying around. I also have a few pounds of hops too. I want to use up these ingredients. My question is if I use 6# DME and maybe 2# of dextrose will the beer come out too dry? It's been so long since I've done an extract brew I can't remember. I know when doing all grain, I keep the mash temp a little higher and add the dextrose to keep it from not drying out too much.

Thanks for the info.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The DME will give you a beer of about 1.049. The dextrose is fully fermentable. It will boost the gravity, but give you a thinner bodied and drier beer.
I would go with the DME and steeping grains for flavor and color.

My house ale use 6#DME and 1#sugar. With 1/2# steeping grains and 2oz. hops it suits me perfectly. With what you have maybe using all 9# and some Belgian yeast would be worth a try.

Back