6 AWG terminal for SSRs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensiff

Reaction score
What terminal ends are people using to connect their 80 amp SSRs on their 50 amp panels? I'm not seeing a lot out there for 6 AWG that are not automotive and I don't care to screw down bare wire into the SSRs unless I have too.

Out of curiosity, how much wattage are your element(s) drawing from the 80a SSR?

If your SSR has a square 'washer' with 2 bent down edges, like mine do, separate the wire strands in halves and make it into a 'fork terminal'. Worked great for me.

Out of curiosity, how much wattage are your element(s) drawing from the 80a SSR?

Right now, I am going to be going with a 4500 and 5500 given my average voltage I see at my house. Should put me in the ballpark of slightly under 40 amps

Right now, I am going to be going with a 4500 and 5500 given my average voltage I see at my house. Should put me in the ballpark of slightly under 40 amps

Then you can use 10AWG wire to you SSR's. You will need 30A fuses in all hot lines when going to 10AWG wire from the main feed. Doesn't matter the SSR's are rated for 80A, as you won't draw more than 23A with 5500W.

Brew on :mug:

Then you can use 10AWG wire to you SSR's. You will need 30A fuses in all hot lines when going to 10AWG wire from the main feed. Doesn't matter the SSR's are rated for 80A, as you won't draw more than 23A with 5500W.

Brew on :mug:

Oops, didn't make that clear, going to be using one SSR to fire two elements simultaneously.

Update: A 6 AWG crimp tool is rather expensive and the SSR's square flanged washer is too small to fit a 6 AWG ferrule. I also considered a car battery terminal where you put a solder lug into the terminal, melt it, and drop the wire in. Then I got to thinking about splitting the wire like jleiii suggested. That is when it occurred to me, cut the insulation back far enough that I could split the wire into two, put a 10 gauge ferrule on each side, and then layer over with shrink wrap to cover up the area of exposed wire at the fork of the Y. The ferrules nestled into either side of the SSR's terminal perfectly with the washer's flange sucking them into the post as I torqued down.

That is when it occurred to me, cut the insulation back far enough that I could split the wire into two, put a 10 gauge ferrule on each side, and then layer over with shrink wrap to cover up the area of exposed wire at the fork of the Y.

Hard to say what dangers that might or might not create, but I think being creative can be risky when dealing with enough juice to put your lights out.

Why was it again that you didn't just run 10AWG to each element separately?

Have you considered talking to an auto mechanic or an aircraft mechanic? I'm going to be using ring terminals from a bus bar. I'll be crimping those at work since we have crumpets for all the way up to 2 gauge I think. Why buy tools when you can borrow [emoji78]

Hard to say what dangers that might or might not create, but I think being creative can be risky when dealing with enough juice to put your lights out.

Why was it again that you didn't just run 10AWG to each element separately?

Each SSR is firing two elements simultaneously so it is running 6AWG from the point it goes into the panel to the point it hits the 63AMP contactor. On the exit side of the contactor it splits to two 10AWG wires going to individual elements.

How about two 40a SSR's triggered by the same PID? Can that be done?

This would be the better and safer way to do it imho and what I plan on doing with my 5bbl build. you can control multiple ssrs at the same time with the pid. or even buy a dual ssr and wire the control circuit together. This is just preference but I always wire my contactors before the ssr as well so I cut the power to them if there is a problem like the ssr sticking closed.

Each SSR is firing two elements simultaneously so it is running 6AWG from the point it goes into the panel to the point it hits the 63AMP contactor. On the exit side of the contactor it splits to two 10AWG wires going to individual elements.

Are you putting a breaker or fuse in thee for branching your circuit down to 10 gauge?

This would be the better and safer way to do it imho and what I plan on doing with my 5bbl build. you can control multiple ssrs at the same time with the pid. or even buy a dual ssr and wire the control circuit together. This is just preference but I always wire my contactors before the ssr as well so I cut the power to them if there is a problem like the ssr sticking closed.

First thing in my panel is a main contactor to shut things down with. Then each branch gets its own contactor between the ssr and elements so I can kill the circuit completion at that point as well.

First thing in my panel is a main contactor to shut things down with. Then each branch gets its own contactor between the ssr and elements so I can kill the circuit completion at that point as well.
I understand that but when your panel is on there is always juice going to the ssr right? so they are always on and switching whether your contactor after the ssr is on or off. also ive seen in some cases where they fail and have a meltdown. in your setup you cant simply shut off the contactor supplying power to the malfuctioning ssr and brew with another output unless im missing something. Your way will work, I just believe the other way has more advantages as does controlling each element with its own dedicated ssr switch. due to power restrictions, I use a 3 way switch to only allow one contactor at a time to be on and supply power to one kettle at a time in my setup so wiring the contactor first just seemed safer with less components running at once.

Too cramped how I have it. I'm going to rotate one of the SSRs 180 degrees for better wire clearance.

View attachment 366458
your putting a large amount of load on that single little terminal there ... My fear would be the chance of things heating up and failing at that connection point that way has been increased is all. If it were mine it would be worth spending the $10-20 or so for another identical mager ssr shipped (like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-State...970710?hash=item25b042ff56:g:s6cAAOSwT5tWLvxp) or even spend a bit more for the relabeled one from auber if their warranty is better. smaller loads on components and terminals is always the better way to go if easily achievable the ssrs will be subjected to less heat and stress. Again just my thoughts.. you can certainly ignore them if you like.

I understand that but when your panel is on there is always juice going to the ssr right? so they are always on and switching whether your contactor after the ssr is on or off. also ive seen in some cases where they fail and have a meltdown. in your setup you cant simply shut off the contactor supplying power to the malfuctioning ssr and brew with another output unless im missing something. Your way will work, I just believe the other way has more advantages as does controlling each element with its own dedicated ssr switch. due to power restrictions, I use a 3 way switch to only allow one contactor at a time to be on and supply power to one kettle at a time in my setup so wiring the contactor first just seemed safer with less components running at once.

Yes if the power is on one of the hot legs is going straight to the SSR's, but that power cannot do much if the circuit cannot complete, which can only be done by throwing a 3 way switch to the contactor for the elements I want on. If I have a SSR fail (which I had once) I can kill the main power to the panel which will cut juice to the SSR. At that point I could care less if the rest of the panel has power as I would not want to keep running the panel until I knew the cause of the failure which would mean, as I did when I had an SSR fail, unplug the panel from the wall and start working to figure out the issue.

I'm not saying you are wrong, mind you, just that I'm doing it differently.

your putting a large amount of load on that single little terminal there ... My fear would be the chance of things heating up and failing at that connection point that way has been increased is all. If it were mine it would be worth spending the $10-20 or so for another identical mager ssr shipped (like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-State...970710?hash=item25b042ff56:g:s6cAAOSwT5tWLvxp) or even spend a bit more for the relabeled one from auber if their warranty is better. smaller loads on components and terminals is always the better way to go if easily achievable the ssrs will be subjected to less heat and stress. Again just my thoughts.. you can certainly ignore them if you like.

I will be running these SSR's around 50-55% (low 40-42 amps, depending on line voltage) so I will have a healthy overhead. I also don't know how one could get much more contact area on the terminal. If you take the base off it has the screw lug, so that is not intended to be a bonding point of significance. Best I can tell the washer is the main contact point to bond with the terminal and then the screw bonds to the lug internally. Maybe I'm missing something though. I suppose I could go all out and email Auber and see what the SSR's recommended operating temp is or what resistance the bond should have and how they recommend to measure resistance.

I will be running these SSR's around 50-55% (low 40-42 amps, depending on line voltage) so I will have a healthy overhead. I also don't know how one could get much more contact area on the terminal. If you take the base off it has the screw lug, so that is not intended to be a bonding point of significance. Best I can tell the washer is the main contact point to bond with the terminal and then the screw bonds to the lug internally. Maybe I'm missing something though. I suppose I could go all out and email Auber and see what the SSR's recommended operating temp is or what resistance the bond should have and how they recommend to measure resistance.

If you're trying to measure that resistance, you'll probably need a milliohmeter. A regular multimeter probably would not measure that difference. I'd say it's pretty insignificant. So long as you've got a good contact and snug down your terminal screws to the torque they call for (or just tight) you should be fine.

If you're trying to measure that resistance, you'll probably need a milliohmeter. A regular multimeter probably would not measure that difference. I'd say it's pretty insignificant. So long as you've got a good contact and snug down your terminal screws to the torque they call for (or just tight) you should be fine.

And we use some really nice ohm meters at work...with zero chance of them letting me borrow one. And, I wouldn't trust my $20 multimeter even if it claimed to measure milliohms accurately. Then again, I have a high dollar scale with expensive callibration weights for reloading, and found my cheap ebay crack scale I use for brewing salt and hop additions is dead on balls accurate when put to the test against the good scale.

Connections look good. Nice neat looking job.

Thanks much. Just waiting for the massively over do 30 amp fuses from an Amazon vendor and I will finally be ready to power this guy up.

Back