6.5 gal for primary, and secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El_Borracho

Reaction score
Is it alright to use a 6.5gal for a primary, then transfer to another 6.5 for a secondary?

If I buy a 5gal as a secondary I'll always have to use it as a secondary. If I have two 6.5's I can use it as a primary or secondary, for example when I make my first Hefe and won't need to secondary. Seems more versatile...more brewin' same doin'!?

By the way, these would be Better Bottle carboys.

I would think the only downside might be the possibility of more oxygen in the beer due to the larger headspace....

TheJadedDog said:
Headspace is the only concern. Why not get more of both sizes? (You'll end up doing it anyway).

Quoted for truth.

I began brewing by saying I wouldn't go AG until I moved into a house. Here I am in my apt still looking to buy a larger MLT and second propane burner.

I was trying to keep it simple since I'm just getting into the hobby but want two fermenting vessels.. No big deal, better beer is more better. So I'll just start with the 6gal bucket and 5gal better bottle. I wasn't aware of the oxygen in the head space being an issue.. I'll research that now, thanks..

Back