6.5 gal carboy Volume vs. Height

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlingy

Reaction score
So I was looking for a good way to estimate volume of wort in the carboy, and didn't find what I was looking for. Most people said go pour water in and make marks but I didn't find any results from that, so I went and did it and here it is.
The carboy used for this experiment has an outer diameter of approximately 12 inches. The carboy is around 1 year old, is the standard "from Italy" kind, and the box said "WATER 6.5 GALLON" on it. The tap water used was 76 degrees in the carboy. Of course, every carboy isn't exactly the same, and my gallon measurements (just filled up a gallon jug of water 6 times) are estimates, and etc. so I am not responsible for any incorrect values you find using my data. However, here is a reasonable estimate for the volume in your carboy.
Volume (gallons) = 0.47 * height (inches) - 0.44
or:
height (inches) = 2.14 * Volume (gallons) + 0.94

Here is a high res picture for you non-math types.
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1957/65galcarboyvolumevsheig.jpg
And here is the Excel x-y scatter chart used to find the equation.

I'm not a big forum person, but hope this helps and thanks for any input.

Just found this, thank you for your work. I have some sour of unknown volume in a carboy and will use this as a guideline for priming. Thanks, and will report how it goes.

Latest posts

Back