5lb co2 tank enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're talking cornies right? If the beer is already carbonated, there are no leaks, and it's full you should be fine. They are supposed to dispense around 15-20 cornies.

they are 5 gallon kegs. force carbed with the same tank. so was full before carbing them.

So, carbed five cornys of beer and just want to know if you have enough gas to dispense them all?

ime, as long as you're not losing your CO2 to the atmosphere and dooming us all, definitely, you're good...

Cheers! ;)

Will my 5lb co2 tank be enough to pour 5 beers for 5 hours? or should i bring a back up?

I forget exact calculations I did some time ago, but (if you don't waste CO2 on leaks and other stuff) carbing and pushing out beer from 5G keg will take about 150-200g of CO2 per keg.

So 5lbs (2.26 kg) should give you 15-18 kegs (carbing and serving) or so.

But quick calculation - 5 Gallons is 20 liters, or about 1 moles of CO2. Which is 46 grams (CO2=14+16*2 in atomic weight).

Say you are serving at 10-14 psi, that means you have to almost double the number (1.8-2 atmosphere pressure). So let's say 80-100g for 5G keg.

Still, it means you should be capable of serving 20-25 kegs without a problem.

(if you used some of the CO2 for carbing up the beer, it takes about 90g of CO2 to carb to 2.5 volumes).

I would agree with the above; however, if I were supplying beer for some soiree and it was crucial to the event that the beer was poured, I think I might have a backup handy.

When I started kegging I bought two 5-pound CO2 tanks right off the bat; I didn't want to risk suddenly being out of gas and needing it for whatever reason.

Just my careful nature, I guess.

Back