55L British Crystal Malt ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgavrilov

Reaction score
I am about to try to brew McEwans Pale Ale and the recipe which I've got calls for British 55L crystal malt. I am having hard time finding it in local stores or online. Only few web sites have it and even then as this is the only thing which I'm gonna order from them I will need to pay $5-6 to ship $1.50 worth of grain.

Can I replace it with American Crystal Malt 60L? Is it a lot different from the British crystal malt? Especially when trying to reproduce English beer.

Thanks!

in my experience the single biggest influence on style is having the right yeast. I'm sure you'd be able to tell the difference between beers made with british vs american malt, but they'll be in the same ballpark. Just don't try to substitute American Ale yeast :)

mgavrilov said:
I am about to try to brew McEwans Pale Ale and the recipe which I've got calls for British 55L crystal malt. I am having hard time finding it in local stores or online. Only few web sites have it and even then as this is the only thing which I'm gonna order from them I will need to pay $5-6 to ship $1.50 worth of grain.

Can I replace it with American Crystal Malt 60L? Is it a lot different from the British crystal malt? Especially when trying to reproduce English beer.

Thanks!
I think you can use the domestic 60L, but IMO, there is a difference in the 2 grains. Brit and Continental seem to have a more Caramelly flavor than does domestic.

For such a small addition, I doubt you will notice. I agree with esquimau that your biggest influence will be the yeast and not a small grain component. Use the domestic 60 and select the right yeast and see what you get.

Thank you for your answers. I was about to go with the domestic 60L, but at the last minute found the British one in a local store. The beer is in the primary fermenter now.

Back