55 Gallon RO water tank build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry this build was delayed a few weeks, I have been working in Germany for a bit, but I am back and plan on finishing this this weekend and get some beer flowing.

In not going to use the solenoid valve anymore, it is easier for me just to add a manual valve. I plan on just adding the float valve at the top of the tank and letting the back pressure turn off the system.

Here you go guys, an extremely over engineered 65 gal RO system ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412552389.021167.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well that's impressive I just use grey Brute trash cans.

I almost did, but I got the tank new for $20 more then a trash can. Found out I live near a major tank distributor. Lol besides I want to be able to wash me car with it too

Well that's impressive I just use grey Brute trash cans.

I almost did, but I got the tank new for $20 more then a trash can. Found out I live near a major tank distributor. Lol besides I want to be able to wash me car with it too

Looks awesome! So is the float valve alone enough to trigger the auto shutoff valve, or does it pulse and let the waste stream flow? I've had mixed results.

Looks awesome! So is the float valve alone enough to trigger the auto shutoff valve, or does it pulse and let the waste stream flow? I've had mixed results.

Idk we will find out. Lol I'm wondering if I should seal the top so that the RO water won't get contaminated?

Idk we will find out. Lol I'm wondering if I should seal the top so that the RO water won't get contaminated?

It looks like there's a lid, is that threaded? Should be more than adequate for water.

Also, if you were to seal the tank, you'd be building pressure up to your main water pressure. Not only would the auto-shutoff most likely cut off the flow before the tank is full, I'd be worried about rupturing the tank! Definitely have a vent on that bad boy. The RO membrane will be more effecient as well with lower back pressure.

I was just thinking after it was full then purge it with CO2 for storage? Now that I think about it, it's not even necessary. After seeing what the water has done to my piping, I'm glad I got a 65 gallon tank, that water is needed for cleaning too

What do you think the cause of that was?

That is 3 batches of mineral build up in my HLT recirculating pipe. I never CIP with PBW this part of my brewery. It goes to show you why my beer has been turning out like garbage since I moved.

I'd like to thank you all for the thread and the input ..... I bought a GE RO system at a thrift store for $5.00 (has all the filters, membrane, etc., but no storage tank) .... I've been wondering how I can hook it up and use it for brew water.... you've given me some ideas ...... does it make any difference how big a tank you use? I'd like to go to 10 or 15 gallon if I can ..... I believe it says it makes about 4 gallons a day, so is there any way to increase that, or not? (i.e. will I have to upgrade to a new one?) Jus' thinkin' ........

Just thought of something, will running the water thru an RO system remove Flouride or not?

I'd like to thank you all for the thread and the input ..... I bought a GE RO system at a thrift store for $5.00 (has all the filters, membrane, etc., but no storage tank) .... I've been wondering how I can hook it up and use it for brew water.... you've given me some ideas ...... does it make any difference how big a tank you use? I'd like to go to 10 or 15 gallon if I can ..... I believe it says it makes about 4 gallons a day, so is there any way to increase that, or not? (i.e. will I have to upgrade to a new one?) Jus' thinkin' ........

Just thought of something, will running the water thru an RO system remove Flouride or not?

So I have yet to actually run the system, still getting things straightened out, also waiting for my mineral additives to come in. Technically you could fill any amount of volume you would like.. I'd recomend getting a larger RO. Mine will produce 100 gallon per 24 hour period.

That is 3 batches of mineral build up in my HLT recirculating pipe. I never CIP with PBW this part of my brewery. It goes to show you why my beer has been turning out like garbage since I moved.

I see the mineral build up now - at first I thought the face was eroding away? Is that buildup or just the casting?

I see the mineral build up now - at first I thought the face was eroding away? Is that buildup or just the casting?

That is just buildup, the inside is actually a shiny mirror finish normally. Lol

If that's the GE RO system that takes their proprietary filters, save yourself the headache and toss it. The filters cost almost as much as an entire RO system that takes standard filters/membranes. The rejection rate/wasted water is also very, very high on the GE system. I know, I had one and tossed it in favor of a standard RO system.

If that's the GE RO system that takes their proprietary filters, save yourself the headache and toss it. The filters cost almost as much as an entire RO system that takes standard filters/membranes. The rejection rate/wasted water is also very, very high on the GE system. I know, I had one and tossed it in favor of a standard RO system.

Yeah I would do that too. I wasn't really concerned about removing 99 percent of the minerals. Because your going to have to bring it back anyways

@ The_Bishop - Thanks for the comeback .... I guess I'll re-donate it and let some other sucker buy it :D :D ..... it's a good thrift store that I like to support (i.e. NOT Goodwilly, Sallies or Restore). I'll keep an eye out for a better one next time .... any ideas on the brands I should look for?
@ kickflip_mj - THX also!

I ended up buying this one, as I'm also using it for drinking water and to supply my refrigerator's water/ice dispenser:

http://theh2oguru.com/drinking-water-system/ed-extra-duty-reverse-osmosis-unit.html

You can request a 75gpd membrane as a free upgrade if I remember correctly. The permeate pump is a huge water saver if you're using a bladder storage tank. It'll produce water faster with less waste using it.

Is you use the coupon code "00426" you get 10% off.

I use (2) 44gal Brutes w/castor bases. One for the RO and the other to harvest the brine (washing clothes/watering yard/whatever). The only Brutes that are food safe are the grey or yellow ones, btw. I use aquarium type submersible pumps to move water. Sight tubes to see levels. Plastic garden hose spigots w/quick connects at the bottom. I should get off my duff and document my builds someday.

Back